The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is proudly sponsored by the following fine companies:
ImageImageImageImage
Lou took this great image of a prom with his Lunt152 double stacked with a Quark

Welcome to Solar Chat! The best forum for Solar Astronomy
Moving forward from solar cycle 24 to 25

Why my Quark always refused to work...

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Why my Quark always refused to work...

Post by krakatoa1883 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Magnus

Quark chromosphere is very demanding in terms of seeing due the strong amplification factor of the internal telecentric, you need a fairly still air to obtain some decent results. Try on the morning or in the evening within two hours from sunrise or sunset respectively.

As far the imaging technique is concerned you can find many discussions in this forum that can help you effectively. This article by Alexandra

https://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/18572.html

is an excellent starting point.

For H alpha I usually stack 300 - 400 frames out of 3000 by using of Autostakkert, the raw image is then processed in IMPPG or IRIS. Be careful to shield your monitor from direct daylight, it would actually need to be well in shadow otherwise accurate focusing becomes challenging.
Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment

Boso36
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Re: Why my Quark always refused to work...

Post by Boso36 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:04 pm

Thank you! I am only getting about 50-70 images stacked so far. I will keep on working on this. Thanks for your encouragement, and useful advice, I appreviate it.

Magnus