SM90/BF15 finally arrived

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
axle01

SM90/BF15 finally arrived

Post by axle01 »

My filter finally arrived today after being stuck in New York in the cold weather for a month but I think it may be a used one or maybe a demo cause it came wrapped in a heap of bubble wrap where I thought it would have come in a fitted box and on the scope end there are markings where it looks like an adapter has been screwed to it.

After paying a million dollars for it to arrive in bubble wrap I was a bit shocked.

Apart from that it looks brand new.

Has anyone purchased one and had it arrive in a box or just in bubble wrap,,,,,,the BF15 came in a fitted box with foam.

I have given it to my machinist now to make an adapter.

Alan

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: SM90/BF15 finally arrived

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alan

congratulations on the new toy.

Mine arrived in a hard case box with foam inlets. Only the SM90, I did not order a blocking filter with it

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GeorgeIonas
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GeorgeIonas »

Hi Alan

Mine arrived in it's case and then double boxed with packing foam between the case and the two boxes. Even if your filter was a demo it should have had a case and then boxed securely. Who sold you the SM90/BF15?

George

DS External SM90 Etalons, Single External SM40 Etalon, BF30, WO FLT98 f/6.3, Tak FS-102 f/8, Tak FS-60C f/5.9, DMK51, DMK21
axle01

Post by axle01 »

Anacortes Telescopes,,,,,but I am sure they had to buy it in as they told me they didn't have one in stock when I ordered it.

Alan

GeorgeIonas
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GeorgeIonas »

These Etalons are very delicate and easy to decontact. As far as I know they all come with a case. All my Coronado Etalons both Meade and Pre-Meade all came in cases and then boxed. My second SM90 Etalon was also in a case and double boxed to ensure that the Etalon would not decontact if handled roughly during shipping.

You need to test it the SM90 and see if you can get the Etalon "on band".

George

DS External SM90 Etalons, Single External SM40 Etalon, BF30, WO FLT98 f/6.3, Tak FS-102 f/8, Tak FS-60C f/5.9, DMK51, DMK21
axle01

Post by axle01 »

George I have it at my machinist and hopefully he can make the adapter before the weekend then I can see if it is ok, in the meantime I will email Anacortes and tell them of my concerns.

Alan

axle01

Post by axle01 »

John I have sent them an email but they would be closed now till tomorrow, hopefully I can get the adapter made before the weekend so I can test it.

Alan

axle01

Post by axle01 »

I agree with everything you say John except I paid a "LOT" less than full price, 'BUT' I did believe I was purchasing a new item, I will wait till I hear back from them and till I mount it to my scope and test it.

Alan

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Ok happy now, got this back from them.

Hi Alan,

I just heard back from the dealer I picked up the filter from. Their explanation makes perfectly good sense – they buy the telescope as a double-stack SolarMax 90, they remove the second etalon and sell it separately which explains why no box for it. They assured me it was brand new – it had been removed from the double-stacked 90 scope.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alan

good news for you. I hope all works out for you.

I'm far away from throwing oil into the fire, but usually the scopes are sold in a case as single stack and the option "double stack" comes in a separate case

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

Suncityan

Post by Suncityan »

Buying from a reputable dealer (my experiences with Anacortes have always been sterling over the years) is the best guard against not getting what you pay for.

Just this past week an item I ordered from another dealer with a sterling track record sent it in four shipments over six days even though the factory said it was initially packaged in three cartons. The items in the four boxes arriving here were not the same as the factory said would be packaged together either.

Everything has turned out great except the weather...it's in the mid twenties (F) and sleeting here at present.

GeorgeIonas
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GeorgeIonas »

Hi Alan,

I still think that even if the Etalon was taken off a doubled stacked scope it should of had its own case. These filters are delicate and can be easily decontacted.

George

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Picked up the adapter mounted the filter and all I got was near total cloud cover. :angry:

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alan

there will be better times

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Yeah Walter I am sure the sun will show it's face again but it won't be today.

Al