Lunt blocking filter question

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Lunt blocking filter question

Post by GUS »

I have been using an LS 60 PT with a coronado 10 mm blocking filter for about 2 years now and find the view through the coronado BF brighter and more detailed (especially on surface detail) compared to the Lunt BF 1200.I have 2 coronado BF 10s and the view through both is the same. I have seen posts on this and other forums try to explain this, but still unsure as to reason for differences between them.The same Lunt BF used with a solarmax 60 filter does not give good views.
Can any one explain.
Thanks.

swisswalter

Re: Lunt blocking filter question

Post by swisswalter »

Hi GUS

an interesting finding. I have no explanation to it.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi Walter, just finished observing this morning and tried out lunt BF.The view compared to the Coronado was not as bright and disk detail looked a lot fainter and harder to see at the same magnification through both.The BF 10 at 62x showed details clearly where as the BF 1200 was washed out. Detail was there but not as good as through the Coronado BF.At 100x the BF 10 still showed good detail where as the lunt was completely washed out.This has been like this since I purchased it.I remember reading a post some time a go about photo exposure times being better through the coronado BFs.

Thanks.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi GUS

maybe I have to get me also a coronado BF some times if that turns out to be true

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi Walter, I have 2 Coronado BF 10s and both show better views visually than the lunt BF 1200. Both front and back filters inside the lunt BF look OK, there appears to be no defects or rusting on them.Probably has something to do with filter transmission or mirror reflectivity.I think there was a post by Colin regarding different lunt BF mirror reflectivity percentages .Im not sure if this is correct.
Being a visual only observer(for the moment) the coronado BF plus simple eyepieces give great views with my Lunt LS60 PT.I rarely use the Lunt BF.
NB.The coronado BFs are about two and a half years old.

Thanks
GUS

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

because they are two completely different designed telescopes from different manufacturers that aren't designed to be used with each other?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
GUS

Post by GUS »

Thanks Steven,using Lunt scope initially i was disappointed with the view,I had a better view through the PST.Then when i tried Coronado BF got a better view and really happy with Ls60 PT.I know Lunt and Coronado say not to mix parts but in this case they work well together.Have been using this combo visually for 2 years now and views through this set up still impress me,I am amazed at what this small scope can show me.

Thanks again.
GUS.