williams optics binoviewer

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Xray2
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

williams optics binoviewer

Post by Xray2 »

Am considering one of these units to increase visual pleasure ,,, I plan on getting into imaging but want to concentrate on visuals first.

Was wondering if anyone has mated this unit to a lunt ... I am guessing I will need some kind of adapter or something.
Called both WO and lunt and neither was really sure.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: williams optics binoviewer

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Umm

sorry can't help you eighter. Almost only imaging with my gear. I guess you need a glass path corrector 1,7x or even higher

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi,William optics binoviewers work fine with the Lunt LS 60 PT.You just need the 1.6x barlow attachment that comes with the WO bino kit.

jp-brahic
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by jp-brahic »

Hello

i use my LS60T with WO Binoviewer , the best vision that i have with this bino is with this Barlow 2.7x : http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/pro ... isual.html and 20mm WO eyepieces and BF15 Coronado

in my opinion, if you can , change your BF Lunt by a BF Coronado , You will win in contrast and in luminosity ;)

JP

Réfractor Spécial H-Alpha (Istar optical ) 230mm F/D 9
Solar Télescope Cassegrain CFF 350mm F/D 20 Clearceram + ERF-D Tri Band 312mm ARIES Instruments.
TN 450mm F/D 4 Zerodur

Web Site : http://jp-brahic.chez-alice.fr/

Astrobin : https://www.astrobin.com/users/jp-brahic/
GUS

Post by GUS »

Like JP Brahic,I too use a coronado BF(10 mm) as I find the image a lot brighter and a lot more detailed compared to the Lunt BF.I have 2 Coronado BF 10s and both show the same detail.I use the WO 20 mm eyepieces and 1.6x barlow that came with the Binoviewers and the set up works great. When using the setup in double stack mode,I personally find the view too dim.

Xray2
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Xray2 »

Thanks for the input, I ordered a pair before I changed my mind [or ran out of $$].
Lunt has been shipped, all I need now is a mount that works.

Xray2
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Xray2 »

Couldn't get the WO's to focus in either my lunt or 127 telescope, tried it with and without the barlow ... Think I need a focal reducer or something ?

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Uum

did you try with the glasspath corrector?
Last edited by swisswalter on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi,to use the binoviewer in the LS 60 the blocking filter tube should be slid in all the way into the focuser tube,then the focuser turned all the way in.Then look through the binoviewers(with the 1.6x barlow attached)and start turning the focuser tube out until you start to see the image getting clearer.The focuser tube by this time is out from fully in position by a few mm.Then you have to turn the eyepiece holders for each eye until the image becomes clear.You also have to adjust the eyepiece tube distance for your eye spacing.
Using the binoviewers takes a bit of getting used to,especially trying to get the image to merge(my left eye sees a lot better than my right,so focusing each eye to merge the image can take a bit of practice(see attached picture,just used binoviewers , and this is where I got focus with the WOs).
Attachments
LS60.JPG

Xray2
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Xray2 »

Thanks, I didn't pay any attention to the bf tube so maybe that is it

GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi Xray2, the binoviewers need a lot of in focus as can be seen with the Lunt 60, possibly with your 127 scope,you might not have enough in focus.

Xray2
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Xray2 »

Finally got a view in the binos, as stated the bf tube has to be all the way in.
Potentially great view but they seem to stop just short of focus. I tried a longer barlow that I have no luck, I tried no barlow at all even worse. So it would appear that I just need a small margin one way or the other, not sure which. But even out of focus it looked impressive, hopefully will get this resolved.
Tried fiddling with the bino lenses, those don't actually focus do they ?

GUS

Post by GUS »

The eyepiece holders do actually focus as well, the best option to get more in focus is to screw the eyepiece tubes all the way in. this should give a few more millimeters to play with .Then adjust the Lunt focuser till it looks about right then focus the eyepiece tubes to get a clear and merged view.This takes a little getting used to,but once worked out the views can be amazing .

NB:The Lunt focus tube is usually only about 3mm out from fully racked in position, and the BF tube should be all the way in,there is not much in focus to play with.

GUS

GUS

Post by GUS »

Just one other note,merging the images can take a bit of mucking around,I usually focus one eye first then focus the other while trying to merge the 2 views as well as getting the eye spacing correct.

GUS