Double stacking an old Solarmax 60

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
kdconod

Double stacking an old Solarmax 60

Post by kdconod »

I have an older Coronado Solarmax 60 scope and I am wondering if you can double stack it with the SolarMax II 60 mm double stacking etalon (SME-60)? The scope does have a thread on the front of it so I would think this will fit.

Can anyone confirm that the Solarmax II etalon fits on the older "Mark I" scopes?

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Double stacking an old Solarmax 60

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Kdconod

welcome to that wonderful site. Have fun in the sun. I'm sure you will get very soon answers to your question.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

measure the threads on the front of your scope, then there is post in the solar reference library talking about the thread size on the SM60ii etalons. You should have all the info you need there.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
kdconod

Post by kdconod »

Thanks that's very helpful - alas I do not have a thread gauge handy. I was hoping to hear from someone who has already tried to fit the mark II filter onto a mark I scope.

GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi, don't know if this helps but I needed an adapter to fit an SMII 40mm DS filter to a early model solarmax 40 telescope. The SM II filter threads were smaller than those on the scope filter.

kdconod

Post by kdconod »

What do you mean by smaller? The diameter of the threads was smaller or the pitch of the thread is different?

GUS

Post by GUS »

The diameter of the T-max thread was smaller than the older Solarmax filter threads, there is about 2-3 mm of play,it is stepping down from the older SM filter to the newer SM ll filter.The first photo shows the SMll stacked to the solarmax scope with the adapter.The second photo shows the adapter.The third photo shows the older SM filter taken off its T-max unit,(in the case of the 40mm scope the objective lens is attached to the T- max unit), the newer filter(minus its t-max) is then installed on the T-max unit attached to the scope.Then you install the remaining T-max on the older filter and this attaches to
newer filter now without needing an adapter.I do not know if this is similar to the 60 mm scopes and filters,but when I bought a SMll 60 mm filter set, I inquired about a similar adapter ring which I wanted to use as a lock ring for the filter attached to a metal scope dust cap, and was told that they are available.

GUS
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG