What is happening here?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

What is happening here?

Post by GUS »

I've had my LS100PT for a few weeks now and have had a couple of short visual obs with it and one long session of a couple of hours. I spent a few hours this morning trying it out. I can use a Coronado BF and get Ha detail straight away-proms and surface at the same time, in good detail Tried this with Lunt BFs 1200 & 1800, and could get no usable Ha view,it resembled a WL view with sunspots visible and a very faint wisp of the prominent arch prom visible today, this was with the full range of the PT tuner and with tuner removed and put back on. I tried back and fourth with all the BFs ,and couldn't get a usable view with the Lunts(assumed worst case that it was decontacted etalon, but can't be if Coronado Bf shows good detail).

After about an hour, both Lunt BFs show Ha detail across the full field, with proms and surface visible.
(originally thought it was a problem with glare bouncing back from my eye into the eyepiece,but after the detail became visible, eye placement didn't matter). I also noticed this the other day as wel The temperature when I started was about 2 degrees C and rose to about 12 degrees when I noticed the view getting better through the Lunt BFs. This seems to be related to a temperature difference- never noticed this with an LS60PT, has any one else noticed this, and if it is temperature related, why does the Coronado Bf show detail straight away.

Can any one shed some light on this matter.

GUS.
Last edited by GUS on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GUS

Re: What is happening here?

Post by GUS »

Re-read the thread on the PT tuner and temperature, sounds like whats happening here, but still confused as to why the Coronado Bf shows Ha detail when the Lunts don't.

GUS.

Valery

Post by Valery »

GUS wrote:Re-read the thread on the PT tuner and temperature, sounds like whats happening here, but still confused as to why the Coronado Bf shows Ha detail when the Lunts don't.

GUS.
Hi GUS,

Please, give us a link to this thread (PT tuner and temperature).

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
GUS

Post by GUS »

Hi Valery, I just typed in 'Lunt PT and temperature change' in the search option, its at the bottom of the page ,last 4 posts.

GUS.