Replace a PST DS

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
ISOC

Replace a PST DS

Post by ISOC »

I bought a PST double stack to verify if I would be interested in Solar viewing, and it turns out I am.

Now I am thinking I'd like to upgrade to a Lunt 60 PT DS with BF1200. I am 95% interested in visual, and rarely interested in imaging, although I like looking at others' images. (I do image the Moon and planets with a ZWO ASI120MC, and that's about enough for me, imaging-wise, for the present.) Looking at the solar images of others helps a bit in deciding what to get, but I also realize from my own imaging that I can stack and process Saturn and get it to look way better than I will ever see it, so the images help, but I know my "results may vary."

The reason I want to replace the PST is the distracting focus knob, and rather profound sweet spot issues when double stacked. I can adjust the first etalon and get a pretty good image to look at. Add the 2nd etalon, adjust tilt, swear softly, adjust it again, then adjust the "rich field" of the 2nd etalon, murmur again, adjust the first etalon, then the tilt and 2nd etalon, then the first etalon, and then the image is pretty good, although I do have sweet spot issues. I compensate by using the slow motions and getting various regions of interest into the sweet spot.

All that said, I'd like to not have so many sweet spot issues, and a good focuser and a sharper image would be nice, too. I also want to keep things pretty much at the "grab and go level." (I have a CPC 800, and that's enough for my heavy lifting and astronomy.)

I am attracted to Stephen's recommendation of the LS 80 PT, but the increased cost, especially if I decide to double stack later (and I probably would) is a bit scary for me. Also, with floaters, astigmatism and mild cataracts, some detail is already washed out no matter what scope I get.

I checked with Lunt today, and right now there is about a 4 month waiting list if I order the LS 60 DS. So it would arrive in time for cold winter weather in Ohio and lots of lake effect clouds! So, I'm going to think it over a bit more.

Meanwhile, any suggestions to help me with my PST, or what I can expect with the LS 60 DS or the LS 80 single, compared to what I see now, would be of interest to me!

Thanks,

Ted in Ohio

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replace a PST DS

Post by solarchat »

The Camera Bug, owned by CBSAP supporter Tim Nix in Atlanta-404-873-4513

has a brand new Lunt LS80 arriving next week. I can flat guarantee you that you will be happier with a single etalon LS80 than a doublestacked LS60 and you would be waiting for about 6 days.

You might call our friends at Woodland Hills or OPT to see if they have an LS60 in stock. I would definitely go pressure tuned and B1200 on either scope.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

Having a DS60 and an LS80 ,I agree with Stephen.The 80 sowes good serface detail without double stacking. Satisfaction guaranteed......

ISOC

Post by ISOC »

Thanks for feedback. I do think the 80 is a better design for double stacking, but I am hesitating because I wanted to be sure that if I get the single 80, I'll be happy for at least a year, and won't be wishing I had my DS PST back. I'll have to sell it to justify getting the 80, can't afford two solar scopes.

Last I looked (yesterday), OPT had an 80 PT BF1200 in stock, but no DS 60 in stock. I'll check again.

I also called Lunt yesterday afternoon and after my conversation there was (almost) convinced that the LS 80 was the way to go. Now I'm more convinced!

Best regards,

Ted

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

Buy a LS80T PT ! This is the best overall compromise among all dedicated solar telescopes.

LS60T PT is not so good as LS80T PT.

You will be happy with this telescope more than one year. You will be happy for years to come.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
ISOC

Post by ISOC »

Thanks, all,

I purchased the LS80 PT at OPT, and it should be here in about a week.

- Ted

Valery

Post by Valery »

ISOC wrote:Thanks, all,

I purchased the LS80 PT at OPT, and it should be here in about a week.

- Ted
Congratulate! Waiting for your reports (include imaging).

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

You will be very happy you went this way.....guaranteed :cool:

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ted

welcome to that wonderful site . Have fun in the sun with your new toy

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
ISOC

Post by ISOC »

LS 80 PT arrived today. Took a while to get it to work well on my temporary mount, but for temporary it's OK. It is the heavy duty Celestron Alt Az with slow motions $98, which I had purchased for the PST. I'm looking to get an equatorial that is just a bit more hefty, but I'll shop at Cloudy Nights for a while to see if I can get something used, as the Alt Az is just satisfactory, which is better than un-satisfactory.

As far as the telescope, it is very nice, and I got what I have been wanting, a sharper image and I don't have to hunt around to get what I want in the sweet spot, while losing something else.

Only issue I had was related to the focuser, which was too loose when looking at high elevations, so the focuser would not work. I called Lunt and got advice on how to use a supplied Allen wrench to adjust the tension and now it's fine.

- Ted

Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

Wow... you got that quickly...I think it took me 4 months to get one. :cool:

ISOC

Post by ISOC »

I don't have a mono camera, so I tried my ZWO ASI120MC, just to see if I could get an image, and I did.

So here they are. It's a start.
Attachments
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_46_29 PM.jpg
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_46_29 PM.jpg (99.92 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_42_47 PM.jpg
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_42_47 PM.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 4401 times
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_41_43 PM.jpg
Sun4 9_7_2014 5_41_43 PM.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 4401 times

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ted

thats a fine start

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

ISOC

Post by ISOC »

Still working on various techniques on sunny days. Still using the ZWO ASI 120 MC.

I tried it with a Barlow 2 days ago and this is what I got.

- Ted
Attachments
Sun Bar2   2014-09-29T12_31_22inv.jpg
Sun Bar2   2014-09-29T12_31_22.jpg
Sun Bar2   2014-09-29T12_27_41inv.jpg
Sun Bar2   2014-09-29T12_27_41.jpg

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good results! Glad you're having fun with your new scope

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

You are getting better. Try a 3X Barlow for amasing close ups .

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ted

good progress. What exposure time can you reach?

ISOC

Post by ISOC »

It was 1200 frames, and the frame rate was about 30 or so, I think. So it was about a minute of image capture time.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I deleted the image capture files, and when I just now looked in the Recycle Bin, they aren't there, so I don't know where they went.

- Ted

Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

A minute of capture seems to long. I think most limit to 30 second or less. IMO

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Congrats on the new scope Ted...I love my LS80T, sure you will too. The initial pics are looking good too.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM