Daystar Quark banding problem UPDATE

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Daystar Quark banding problem UPDATE

Post by Astrograph »

Dear All

Following our hope that problems with Quarks were all behind us, the last batch received had banding problems which caused considerable problems.

After many emails to and from customers (thanks for the input) and Daystar, we finally have a resolution. The problem has been explained as follows by Daystars owner; This information has also been posted by Daystar on other forums.

This last batch apparently had very tight bandpass coatings on the etalons. This resulted in bandpass typically <0.3A (in one case as low as 0.14A)! The lightness / darkness seen in the etalon is a function of FWHM and the coating thickness on the etalon.

To explain this a +/- 0.2A variation on a 0.5A FWHM coating is an 8% variation which should not be discernible. A +/- 0.2A variation on a 0.15A FWHM coating is 26% which is very obvious and shows this banding.

Daystar have therefore decided that all the latest batch and what is in stock is out of specification and will therefore be replaced. All our customers that have reported banding problems will get a replacement which Daystar are sending out in advance allowing customers to hang on to their Quarks until they can be replaced.

Daystar are now going to maintain Quark production within the 0.5~0.3A range they originally advertised and not pursue ultra tight band pass until variations in the coating thickness can be overcome.

Best Regards

Rupert
Astrograph Ltd

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Daystar Quark banding problem UPDATE

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Rupert

thank you for the information

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GreatAttractor »

Definitely count me in when Daystar starts making 0.15 Å Quarks with 2x magnification :D

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the info Rupert

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi solar gangs,

Can someone explain me what does this mean. My english does not allow to interprete this without a doubt.

"Daystar have therefore decided that all the latest batch and what is in stock is out of specification and will therefore be replaced. All our customers that have reported banding problems will get a replacement which Daystar are sending out in advance allowing customers to hang on to their Quarks until they can be replaced."

Does the DayStar offer the etalons or QUARK as the replacement for the period of servicing of the defective units????

Imagine, I got a QUARK with banding. Then what? I let DayStar know that my QUARK has a banding. What will be then? And what will be if I bought the QUARK directly from the DayStar?

Thanks,

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

If you have a QUARK from last batch made....Daystar will send you a new one to keep. Once you get it you send the ole one back to them and they keep the old one.

Valery

Post by Valery »

Bill Edelen wrote:If you have a QUARK from last batch made....Daystar will send you a new one to keep. Once you get it you send the ole one back to them and they keep the old one.
Thanks for explanation.

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Dear All

With regard to the Daystar Quark, Daystar would like anyone with any queries or concerns regarding their Quark to look at the information provided on the official Daystar website.

Quark Link - http://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark.shtml
Quark Uniformity Link - http://www.daystarfilters.com/Quark/Qua ... mity.shtml
Terms of sale / advance replacements - http://www.daystarfilters.com/termof.shtml

One thing I need to clarify with our original post is the following

All our customers that have reported banding problems will get a replacement which Daystar are sending out in advance allowing customers to hang on to their Quarks until they can be replaced.

This was a service offered to help out our own customers. It was not Daystars official policy which is outlined in the links above.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Rupert

thank you very much for the information.

It is difficult to detect, recheck and note an severe uneveness withhin 10 days if the sun comes up only once or twice for a couple of hours a month ;)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
axlefoley
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by axlefoley »

I don't do imaging yet but will in the near future, so how do I tell if mine is a problem one.

Alan
Valery

Post by Valery »

axlefoley wrote:I don't do imaging yet but will in the near future, so how do I tell if mine is a problem one.
Point it at the center of the sun and move the sun across the FOV. If your Quark has a banding, you will see this easily.
To be more sure, use this method with two or three different magnifications.

Note, that slight banding or unevenness visible visually, will be _significantly_ more pronounced when imaging.

axlefoley
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by axlefoley »

Thanks Val I will give it a go.

Alan
danrwillard
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by danrwillard »

Just starting with quark Chomoshpere on my ES 127mm refractor. I have just got to the point of getting fair focus (adjusting the "knob"). Can someone tell me what this "banding problem" looks like? I do seem to see wide perpendicular bands of lighter/darker areas going across the face of the sun.
Dan