Baader Continuum Filter

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
ForrestLockhart

Baader Continuum Filter

Post by ForrestLockhart »

I have a Lunt Herschel Wedge that I use with a polarizing filter. Based on recommendations here, I'm considering purchasing the Baader Continuum filter. In use, does the continuum filter screw onto the polarizer, or does it replace it? As I envision it, the Baader screws onto the polarizer, which screws onto my eyepiece. Right or wrong? Thanks for the advice.

GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Baader Continuum Filter

Post by GUS »

I use mine directly in the eyepiece without the polarizer, haven't needed it visually,not sure about imaging.

GUS.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Forrest

the Baader continuum filter is not replacing the polarizer. You can use each alone or as a stack. Stacking may give you inward travel problems depending on your setup
Last edited by swisswalter on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Hi

The Continuum filter was actually made for Achromat users as it avoids the visible fringing you can get viewing a bright white object like the Sun. For an APO you don't need it although it can enhance some details. Personally I just can't get on with looking at a green sun!

The nice thing about a polariser is that when fitted to the eyepiece, you can rotate it to adjust brightness to a preferred level.

If your used to using a polariser then I can't honestly say using a Continuum gets you anywhere, unless of course you do suffer from visible fringing.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

For visual I don't use a continuum, just the polariser on the eyepiece which like is said above i rotate to adjust brightness, for imaging it is very useful.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!