Coronado BF15 dimensions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Coronado BF15 dimensions

Post by twhite »

Greetings, all. New user to this board, though I've been doing some reading for the past week or so.

I need a favor from someone who owns a Coronado BF15.

My pre-Meade BF10's ITF completely succumbed to rust this year, and after being pointed in the right direction and some research in various forums I've found out about the replacement filter from Maier Photonics. After some conversation with Chris Maier and Dave Groski, and some measurements of my unit, I've also found that the replacement filter, while designed for the PST, should drop right in to my BF10.

While I've got the BF10 apart, though, and since it's out of warranty anyway, I'm thinking about modifying it and opening up the ITF area to see if I can't get at least close to the BF15 spec out of it -- just in case I might want to take up imaging with it.

That being said -- the favor I would like to ask is for someone with a BF15 and a slide caliper to provide me with the measurement of the opening for the blocking filter in the forward (chrome) barrel of the diagonal (best estimate is fine since if you can't unthread the barrel from the diagonal) and the opening for the ITF in the rear (black) barrel of the diagonal. This should unthread easily from the diagonal. You don't need to remove the retaining ring that holds the filter (please don't, actually!) but it would also be interesting to know whether or not the retaining ring opening in the holder is the same size as the BF10s (mine is about .72" +/- .005 with the ring removed -- which should allow Maier's filter to drop right in @.690"; the thickness is the same at .125"). I'm having a bit of difficulty with my forward barrel but I'm going to keep trying with a different approach to see if I can't get that measurement.

When I do this swap, I'm going to document the entire process so everyone can benefit from it. In talking to DavidG he had only heard of people doing this with a PST and not a Solarmax scope (mine is a 60mm double-stack) and he wasn't sure it would be a drop-in replacement. Based on what I'm seeing, it will be a drop-in or near drop-in replacement, and I'll document the heck out of it with pictures and text. I've got to get the filter from Maier, of course, and I'd really like to have the info about the BF15 before I start. I may do the straight-up change first as it appears that it will be very easy to do, and then do the modification later. Since I also would like to get this done before the eclipse on the 23rd, that might be a factor as well...

Hoping to also do more solar-related stuff in the coming months, which I've been meaning to do for years but have lacked the time... too much work in my work/life balance.

Thanks in advance for responses to my request, and stay tuned for more info.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coronado BF15 dimensions

Post by solarchat »

We've been using the Maeir replacement filter here for a couple years here on SolarChat!. It fits perfectly in the PST, BF10 and the BF15 as they all use the same size ITF.

I have ordered 12 of those filters and gave them away to various CBSAP supporters for replacements. Be careful because they are all different quality.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

solarchat wrote:We've been using the Maeir replacement filter here for a couple years here on SolarChat!. It fits perfectly in the PST, BF10 and the BF15 as they all use the same size ITF.

I have ordered 12 of those filters and gave them away to various CBSAP supporters for replacements. Be careful because they are all different quality.
Good to know. I, of course, didn't find out about it until the filter in my BF10 became completely unusable.

Still would like to know whether or not the blocking filter in the BF15 is the same size or larger than the BF10, though, as I am considering modifying mine while going through this process.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ted

welcome to that wonderful site. Have fun in the sun and post as much as you can from your mods

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

solarchat wrote:We've been using the Maeir replacement filter here for a couple years here on SolarChat!. It fits perfectly in the PST, BF10 and the BF15 as they all use the same size ITF.

I must have gotten a less than optimal one, then, as mine isn't working. I see no detail at all, and I can still see detail with my old filter. Guess I'll be getting in touch with Chris and see if he'll supply me with a replacement. Otherwise I'll be buying a new BF assembly, which absolutely sucks.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

If you have an nighttime Ha filter screw this on the end of the BF, alternatively use a uv/ir cut filter in addition.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

marktownley wrote:If you have an nighttime Ha filter screw this on the end of the BF, alternatively use a uv/ir cut filter in addition.
I have both. Chris suggested an ND filter on the eyepiece to determine if it was a transmission problem. I'll try both tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. Thanks for the suggestions.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

It's an IR leak. I would use the Ha filter then, it will work fine with this.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

Nope. Turned out I'm an idiot. I replaced the wrong filter. The way I read the descriptions, I thought I needed to replace the rearmost filter in the path, which I did. I needed to replace the *other* filter in the diagonal. Now I have excellent images again. :-)

I wrote a description in another post, trying to clarify things. Hopefully others will find it helpful and have success as well.

Tony