Demounting SM60 DS front etalon and using with another scope

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Demounting SM60 DS front etalon and using with another scope

Post by twhite »

All,

I travel quite a bit, and occasionally will take a portable scope with me (usually a Brandon 80mm f/6 triplet).

I can't think of a reason why this shouldn't work, but -- is there a reason why I could not remove the front etalon from my original SM60 DS and use it along with its BF10 (once I get it repaired) with my Brandon? True, it won't show as much detail, but I'm looking for portability over detail here, and trying to use what I have rather than buying more right now. I may buy a Lunt 50/BF1200 combo at some point in the future for this, but for now I'd like to consider this.

The reason I ask -- at one time, I owned an SM40 SS and wanted to DS it, and I seem to remember that Nikki at Coronado told me that the DS filter they sold me for it could *not* safely be used as a SS filter. Based on what I know now, that doesn't seem right, but wanted to confirm with the experts here. If it's not safe on its own, would it be safe if I added an additional ERF (say, the Baader D-ERF) as a prefilter for the setup?

Obviously I'd have to have an adapter made for my Brandon, or find one that would work (this is a rubber-armored scope, so I would likely want to have something custom made rather than using something out there now that uses setscrews into a dew shield to secure). It would be interesting if this could be made to work. It would be even more interesting if I could get an internal etalon and mount it on the front of the Brandon's focuser tube and have a DS, or even find a second 60mm etalon... but first this.

Thanks.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Demounting SM60 DS front etalon and using with another s

Post by marktownley »

You may well find the DS filter is tuned high of 656nm and so when you tilt it to get it down it will have banding - worth a try though...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by GUS »

Hi welcome to the site. The Warning about not safely working as SS might be to do with the blocking filter as you would need one to make it work, otherwise I can,t see why it would be unsafe, it should have an ERF on the front(Red glass). It might be safe but as Mark pointed out above, it will need excessive tilting to get on Band if it is the DS version of the Coronado Etalon.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Ted

we have to seperate visual use and recording with a CCD or so. Visual use, no modding is sure and insured.

Recording , who is worring about a friend CCD or filter ;) . It's just some money burned for having fun.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

I've successfully used an original SM60 "double stacked" filter on an ED80 for many years.
The objective mounted SM60's were the same "tuning" whether used singly or as a DS.
My SM60 is currently double stacked with a PST mod on a TS102 f11 achromat + BF15.
Works well.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

That's good to know. There may be hope yet, then. I've got to deal with this ITF issue first... first cut at it didn't go well. :-/