Coronado BF component nomenclature -- and Success!

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Coronado BF component nomenclature -- and Success!

Post by twhite »

So after some background communications between myself and several others, and a very false start on my part, I have now successfully repaired my Coronado BF10 and it's working brilliantly.

There is a bit of a breakdown in communication regarding the replacement and the nomenclature of the filters in the BFx (5, 10 or 15) diagonals versus the PST. I'm posting this to clarify.

Component #1 is the filter which is in the nosepiece (chrome part) of the BF diagonal. This is the ITF. The original component is round, but is on clear glass and not coated fully to the edges or sealed. It has also been referred to as a mini-ERF, and, while that may be a correct description, if we use the term ITF we should only use that term to avoid confusion (like my false start, as an example).

Component #2 is the mirror, which obviously has some part in the system as it is not full-spectrum coated.

Component #3 is a filter which is in the eyepiece holder (black part) of the BF diagonal. The original component is square but held in a round holder, and is not sealed. This is a narrow band blocker, or trimmer, filter.

The Maier replacement dropped right in for me in the nosepiece location, and I was rewarded with a fantastic view of a couple of very nice prominences. I can't even remember how long it's been since my SM60 showed me a view like that. I am simply ecstatic, and I'm *back in business* -- and in time for the eclipse next week, too!

Maybe this was obvious to some, but due to the type of failure I had of my ITF it was hard to tell originally. Mine did not look like many of the pictures that I saw of failed ITFs. And since some people have referred to it a 'mini-ERF' without clarifying that it was being used interchangeably to describe the ITF caused me some confusion.

So, in conclusion, count me as another absolutely satisfied customer of Maier Photonics and his 656nm ITF Bandpass filter as a replacement in my failed BF10.

Now, if the size of the ITF in the BF15 is the same as the size of the one in the BF10, then I don't see why I couldn't enlarge the hole in the eyepiece holder... plenty of room to grow there.

Thanks, all, both on- and off-forum.

Tony

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Coronado BF component nomenclature -- and Success!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Tony

great to hear.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
rpec2001
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by rpec2001 »

Can the this itf repair be used safely for visual?
Bob

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Bob

welcome to that wonderful sight. Have fun in the sun. I personally would never use a modded system visually. Who is gonna replace your lost eye ?

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

rpec2001 wrote:Can the this itf repair be used safely for visual?
Bob
Yes, it's completely safe for visual use. That's what it was designed for. The ITF that Maier makes is better than the original Coronado or Meade replacement, as it's done on KG3 (red) glass rather than clear, so there is additional energy rejection taking place at the ITF. I'm quite certain that more detail is visible in my scope now than when it was new, and I have a DS. It's simply fantastic.

I've now repaired (I won't call it a modification, as the filter meets AND exceeds the specifications of the original) two SM60s and both have been used visually since with excellent results.

Don't just take my word for it, though. Reach out to David Groski (DAVIDG on this forum and others) and ask him about it. He was the driving force behind convincing Chris Maier to produce this replacement filter. Others have done the same repair I have. It is not difficult, and it seems to be working very well indeed.

I am considering "modifying" my BF10 to open up the hole at the narrow band blocker (in the eyepiece holder). My understanding (and I'm still waiting for someone to confirm it) is that the ITF for the BF10 and BF15 are the same size, and that the only difference is the size of that hole. I don't have a BF15 to compare, and my request for assistance from someone who has a BF15 has so far gone unanswered.

Tony

rpec2001
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by rpec2001 »

Thanks Tony and Swisswalter for your comments.
Another question. Is there also a replacement ITF for a BF30 that can be used safely for visual?
Thank you
Bob

twhite
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by twhite »

That I do not know. I suggest you contact Maier Photonics and ask if he'll do a custom size for you. It would probably be cheaper than a new BF30 in any case...