How are people finding the Quark?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

How are people finding the Quark?

Post by cshahar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:08 am

I am thinking of buying one and a 110mm refractor, but a search of this and other forums reveals mixed results. I was hoping to get some feedback from users. It seems that it is difficult to get sharp images with the quark. Please let me know your experiences. There was quite a buzz when this filter first came out, but I am hearing much less about it now! I am still open to buying a dedicated solar scope, but was hoping the Quark lived up to its hype!
Thanks for your insights,
-Charles

grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: How are people finding the Quark?

Post by grimble_cornet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:53 am

I am on my second Quark (first returned with banding issues) and am very impressed.
It is intended as a visual 'toy' so imagers are pushing the boundaries and learning as they go.
Daystar suggest f30 is the optimum which means that f6-7 refractors are ideal when combined with the x4.3 telecentric built into the Quark.
Here is a table summarizing my experience and that of another member (Solarhound) with different scopes:
Scopes for the Quark.jpg
The Quark seems to be quite sensitive to seeing conditions (not surprising with a x4.3 magnification factor) and there are lots of variables to consider (tuning, camera settings, use of focal reducers etc.) but I have produced a few images which make me smile.

This is probably my best so far using the Equinox 120 without reducer:
Equinox120 Quark Grasshopper3 2014 3009 0941ut coloured a.jpg
This is a rather nice prom shot with the same kit:
Eq120 Quark Grasshopper 2014 1910 1005 ut colour 800px.jpg
Eq120 Quark Grasshopper 2014 1910 1005 ut colour 800px.jpg (193.03 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
And finally a couple of images from my Equinox 80:
Eq80 Quark Grasshopper3 2014 1010 1030 ut inverted coloured.jpg
Eq80 Quark Grasshopper 6 pane 1032x776 mosaic 1200px.jpg
Hope this helps?

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/

cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by cshahar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 am

Amazing images Mike! I am so impressed. You are one of the success stories for the Quark. I have some unanswered questions I would like to ask. Please excuse my naivete in the case of some of these:

1. Does taking images in urban settings affect solar images? You mentioned "seeing" conditions. Is pollution in the urban environment a factor? I would imagine heat rising from buildings would affect solar images, but do I need to go to the country to maximize my results?
2. I live in Canada, and therefore a cold climate. Is that a problem for the Quark, which needs to be heated to operate? In short, can I use it in the winter?
3. I plan to buy a 110mm refractor. Do I need an energy reduction filter or will a UV filter suffice? I think that's the cut-off.
4. Will a 2-inch focuser work on current quarks?
5. Most important: Have they ironed out their production problems by now?

Thanks a bunch,

-Charles

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 am

Hi Charles

stay away from buldings, concrete, hot streets and roofs. Seek for gras or water.

A 2" focuser works perfect

I have yet to use it in cold weather, but I think that shouldn't be a Problem

a 110 mm gun is o.k.
Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)

cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by cshahar » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks Swisswalter. I appreciate the information!

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi Charles. I have sent you a 'detailed' reply to your email :lol:

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/

Valery

Post by Valery » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Mike,

I see your QUAK is exceptionally good, almost perfect. I believe that the best way to go is to investigate all the possibilities
of using Q with 120mm refractor.

Valery.
Last edited by Valery on Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks Valery. I managed to put it through most of the checks you suggested and was fairly happy with the results.
I now need some quality time in the sun to sort out optimum tuning, capture settings, use of focal reducer etc.
Unfortunately we seem to be locked into a long sequence of poor weather with low pressure systems, wind, cloud and rain constantly moving in from the Atlantic so........ watch for progress when things improve.

Mike Garbett

smerral
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by smerral » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:43 pm

I love mine. I find it performs very well with my ST102 (even though it doesn't get a great write up in the above table). Here's an inverted filament shot done with a 0.5x reducer.

BRIAN
Caithness, Scotland.
Double stack PST, Lunt CaK B600, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
with Altair Astro 102 ED f.7 Refractor.
Celestron Nexstar 8SE.
DMK31AU03, ZWOASI120MM.

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi Brian.
That is an excellent image :bow :beanie: :bow

I produced the table to record MY experience with the Quark as a guide for other users and was then contacted by Solarhound who added his experience to the mix.
If you don't mind, I would like to add your experience with the Skywatcher to the table to give a more balanced report for prospective users?
Scopes for the Quark.jpg

Mike Garbett