New PST ITF?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

New PST ITF?

Post by JB80 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Hey all,

I took a look at my ITF/blueglass for the PST today and can see that it is possibly looking a bit degraded which I have suspected as I'm getting a bit/lot of haziness to my images. I'm not sure to be honest but there is a darker spot in the middle with a lighter ring around the outside, I have a pic and it doesn't show all but you can see what I mean. There is also some speckled dots on the inside with I'm not sure what they could be but they may be cleanable, they aren't visible in the picture though. It's probably mold.

The PST is 4 years old and was brought new but who knows how long it was sitting in stock somewhere and I would say it has had pretty heavy use in the last couple of years..
as.jpg
as.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
I'm guessing from the looks of it I need a replacement?

Any way I have seen here that the Maier filter is a suitable replacement and I have seen other filters mentioned, beloptik for instance and some baader ones but really I don't know what is my best option.

So my questions are, will I need a replacement?
What are my options for a replacement?
And are there any EU suppliers that I'm likely to find that can get one to me by the 20th?

I'm just looking for a new one for the standard PST eyepiece holder as shown and it will either be used in a stage 1 mod or as the standard PST itself.
I use it mainly for imaging but occasionally I like to have a gander as well.

Any ideas or can someone point me in the right direction please?
Jarrod

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: New PST ITF?

Post by swisswalter » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Jarrod

for the fast solution you are asking, I could only offer you a whole black body of a PST without the etalon though, for little money
Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:09 pm

Hi Walter,

That would certainly be an option, I wouldn't need the entire black box but I could consider it.

If I take visual out of the equation can I use something like a Baader 7 or 35nm or something else perhaps?
Jarrod

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Jarrod,
The Maier replacement seems to work well.
I'd continue to use what you have until you get a replacement.
Ken
(The Baader filters work better in the BF diagonal ITF replacement due to the 1.25" filter size)
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ast ... scopy/info
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:21 pm

Hi Ken,

Looking at the pic would you say my ITF is on the way out and it could do with replacing?
I think it would explain the hazy/blurred edges to my images, at least I hope it's that anyway. It's by no means the end of the world so I can live with it for a while.
I may contact Maier and see what they can do, is there an EU dealer?
Jarrod

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Jarrod,
Yes, it looks like it's beginning to go....
I'm not aware of any other distributor - just direct supply from Maier.
"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:18 am

Well I'll fire off an email today and see what they say.
Hopefully they can send it via UPS for me.
Jarrod

Sungazer
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sungazer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:36 am

Hi All, I can assure you that the Maier ITF filter is a direct replacement for the PST original, and in my opinion improves the image from the old one. I replaced mine last year. You can order direct from Maier Photonics and pay using Paypal. The cost is about £57 delivered,just depends on the exchange rate on the day.
Hope this helps, John.

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:55 am

Hi John, thanks for the recommendation.
It looks to be the way to go, how long did it take to send it and I presume it was taxed by customs?
That wont be an issue but I guess it needs to be considered.

Not really supposed to be spending anymore money as we just paid a deposit on a house but I will make an exception for this, it's at a really fair price so I can get away with it. :)
Jarrod

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Yes, a new ITF is needed. The Maier option works fine, I have one.
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Cheers Mark, do you suppose this could be the culprit to the lack of detail on the edges of my images?
Jarrod

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Can you post an image as example...
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:12 pm

These show it fairly well, I haven't added a flat to it but that doesn't remove the lack of detail any way.
Not the greatest images but they are straight from AS!2.
You can notice quite a bit on the left hand side, I generally just crop it out.
142050_g4_ap510.jpg
142050_g4_ap510.jpg (52.32 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
Also on the right hand side of the images too.
140735_g4_ap445.jpg
140735_g4_ap445.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
Jarrod

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:19 pm

i think it is just the sweet spot. Are you using a barlow lens with the camera?

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Nope no barlow, it's rarely worth putting one on.
It just seems to me that I'm noticing it more and more lately. My sweet spot has always been in an odd and annoying position, in one of the corners. Bottom right visually. It could be though.
Jarrod

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I would recommend using a barlow, that is what is causing the uneven illumination and variance in detail across the field. If the sweet spot is not dead centre then this means something is not square some where along the optical axis.

Sungazer
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Sungazer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:39 am

Hi Jarrod, The ITF only took about 6 days to come via airmail,to England. As to customs they did not bother. I think you are allowed to bring in items for personal use up to £50 Maier Photonics are very nice people to deal with. All the best with your purchase, and fitting,make sure the silvery side of the filter faces the Sun, to avoid over heating the blocking filter. Kind regards, John.

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:08 am

marktownley wrote:I would recommend using a barlow, that is what is causing the uneven illumination and variance in detail across the field. If the sweet spot is not dead centre then this means something is not square some where along the optical axis.
A barlow doesn't seem to work to well with me, it might just be the barlow is rubbish but I don't get pleasant results using it. I might try unscrewing the lens from it though, that may work better.
Sungazer wrote:Hi Jarrod, The ITF only took about 6 days to come via airmail,to England. As to customs they did not bother. I think you are allowed to bring in items for personal use up to £50 Maier Photonics are very nice people to deal with. All the best with your purchase, and fitting,make sure the silvery side of the filter faces the Sun, to avoid over heating the blocking filter. Kind regards, John.
That's not bad, 6 days. I'm waiting on a response and see what happens. Spain doesn't have any allowances for things from outside the EU. It is luck of the draw here, sometimes they ask for customs fees and other times they don't. Hopefully a small envelope will get through.
Good tip re the silvery side too. Thanks.
Jarrod

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:16 am

OK update, I ordered from Maier last night, had an issue with the pay form although I was warned this may happen but Chris was on hand at the time to put the order through anyway. In total it came to 75 euros which is alright.
Anyone know if USPS international first class is signed for?
Jarrod

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 am

Yes,
Normally signed for at receipt.

Bob Yoesle
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Bob Yoesle » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:31 pm

Unless you add additional IR blocking in front of the replaced ITF, such as the 2" Baader Red CCD filter or the IR/UV blocking filter over the objective, you will likely encounter future failure of the ITF.

OR you could use the Beloptik KG3 ( http://beloptik.de/en/left/if-uv-ir-cut ... ng-filter/ ) with a suitable 2" RG630 or RG 610 in front of the objective, such as the Baader 35 nm H alpha filter. This combination should not be so easily susceptible to deterioration as an ITF is.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi Jarrod

hope that filter will arrive at time
Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)

JB80
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by JB80 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:57 am

swisswalter wrote:Hi Jarrod

hope that filter will arrive at time
Merlin66 wrote:Yes,
Normally signed for at receipt.
Thanks Ken and Walter, it was dispatched yesterday so I have hope it will make it. And if it is signed for then it should come to my door as they stopped delivering regular post here and picking it up would be a pain.
Bob Yoesle wrote:Unless you add additional IR blocking in front of the replaced ITF, such as the 2" Baader Red CCD filter or the IR/UV blocking filter over the objective, you will likely encounter future failure of the ITF.

OR you could use the Beloptik KG3 ( http://beloptik.de/en/left/if-uv-ir-cut ... ng-filter/ ) with a suitable 2" RG630 or RG 610 in front of the objective, such as the Baader 35 nm H alpha filter. This combination should not be so easily susceptible to deterioration as an ITF is.
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information, I have bit the bullet already but will file this away for future reference. Thankfully it's not a big hit to the wallet and if I can get another 3-5 years from it it's probably money well spent. Never no I might upgrade before then. :D
Jarrod