ccd sizes for full disk image

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

ccd sizes for full disk image

Post by rxdeath »

i've been a lunt 60 guy for about 3 years now, and i finally got my chance to purchase a 152 which i jumped on immediately, however i'm having trouble finding assurance that the lunt solar imager will provide a full disk image for me, i feel like that's not possible, as i'm estimating the image of the sun to be ~ 9.3mm. i was wondering if you gurus could either confirm that will work and i'm wrong, or tell me what a good camera is for full disk, camera style imaging. i would like to be able to take a video of our fusioning friend, and stack it up in registax. i'd rather not have to take many shots and stitch them together as i'm just barely confident in astrophotography, and total n00b when it comes to photoshop/gimp/registax. best options/ideas would be much appreciated, and i think other beginners out there would like to know how to figure out what size ccd you need to get a full disk image on all the size of scopes from lunt, coronado, daystar, etc..i know 'best solar imager' is highly controversial, like 'best car' but a few ideas would be nice to get all this info in one thread.

if this has been addressed specifically in another thread please point the way to non-ignorance.

ps-stephen, if you do an outreach here in sfbay area, consider my 152 at your disposal :)

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: ccd sizes for full disk image

Post by swisswalter »

Hi John

I would not bother doing full disk single shots with the 152, for that just take the LUNT 60

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

the 152 is designed for closeup views, use the 60 for full disk shots.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

The size of the full disk sun or moon ~ FL / 110. So now you can see what chip size will fit the full disk. The 152 has a FL of 912 mm; 912 /110 = 8.2 mm, but add extra if you want room for prominences.

You could use the LS152 for small-area partial-disk images, and then make full-disk mosaics -- not as hard as you might be thinking (I use iMerge). Using the LS60 for full disks will be easier, but will have less resolution.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rxdeath »

thanks for all the ideas and tips. i'm greedy, i want to be able to do both, it sounds like i will be getting into the 2k$ camera range minimum to allow a full disk with the added benefits (resolution/lower bandpass) for 152 imaging. so with a 152 if any of the dimensions of the imaging chip are less than around 9-10 mm, i'm going to get chopped.

i will check out imerge, i've been trying to do it manually, and i SUCK at photoshop/gimp :)

should be here monday i'm dying to get my mitts on it, and since i traded my b1200 as part of the trade, my 60 is out of commission :(.

will hte 1800 be a problem with the 60? i'm cool with buying another 1200 eventually but the impact of the 152 on the old wallet was pretty intense for a one-time shot, so i had to minimize damages..

rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rxdeath »

ok found a tool that will really help the fellow n00bs decipher some of the weird ccd formats, and get a definitive answer about my and other questions.

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

this site is awesome and answers pretty much any question of the sort i just had, i hope it helps someone else