Question on pressure tuner and recommended tripod

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Question on pressure tuner and recommended tripod

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Hello all!

Finally took it out for about 5 minutes before the clouds rolled in. Winter is on it's way and there are less and less days with Sun. Anyhoo, I read the instructions that came with the scope but it didn't seem right to me. I was using it on a DSLR tripod so focusing and turning the dials/knobs shook the tripod quite a bit, to try it properly I need to use my HEQ5 Pro.

Basically I took off the Pressure tuner (black cylinder) and placed it back on. I did see some prominence's appear but was expecting a bit more detail. Is there something I am missing? Already I can see a difference with the PST with the contrast of the background being much darker (more black) than the PST.

A few questions:
- To use the pressure tuner do you remove the black cylinder completely every time you use the scope? So basically do you set the scope up, focus with the dial, remove the pressure tuner and put it back on every single time?
- How far are you meant to tighten the pressure tuner?
- Do you need to remove the pressure tuner and put it back on (about a couple of turns) after you use it until the next time you use it (when in storage)?

Once I removed the pressure tuner I looked at it and went "oh crap". Even though the instructions said to do it, for me it didn't feel right (there was grease plus it felt like I was taking apart the telescope piece by piece). At one point I didn't think I could get the tuner back on!

Also does anyone here have two setups they use? Currently have:
- HEQ5 Pro (I will set this mount up if I want to image or have a long visual observing session)
- DSLR tripod (for those quick setup and visually observe, easy to take around and pack in the car)

What does everyone here use for their quick setup? I find the DSLR tripod isn't stable enough, are there any other tripods that are more stable but still provide the portability?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Stefan.

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3
swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Question on pressure tuner and recommended tripod

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stefan

congratulations on the first light. There is nothing wrong with what you report. The DSLR tripod is really only for a very quick view.

I do remove the PT knop before each session, but that is not necessary as long as you see proms and faint surface details. Usually I have to turn in the PT knop almost to the max. That depends on your Situation (altitude, temp and air pressure as well as the etalon)

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Stephan,
Probably a HD photo tripod would do the job....I ended up with an AZ3 mount. Works well for me (in fact I have one for sale at the moment)
Re pressure tuning - can't help - never used one, but I gather the tuner should maintain a good setting while in storage.
Increasing the pressure in the chamber is like turning the tuning ring on the PST - you may need to practise to find the optimum setting for you.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Merlin66 wrote:Stephan,
Probably a HD photo tripod would do the job....I ended up with an AZ3 mount. Works well for me (in fact I have one for sale at the moment)
Re pressure tuning - can't help - never used one, but I gather the tuner should maintain a good setting while in storage.
Increasing the pressure in the chamber is like turning the tuning ring on the PST - you may need to practise to find the optimum setting for you.
Hey mate.

Any details on the AZ3 you are selling? Send me a PM.

Cheers,
Stefan.

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
saguaro
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by saguaro »

04Stefan07 wrote: Basically I took off the Pressure tuner (black cylinder) and placed it back on. I did see some prominence's appear but was expecting a bit more detail. Is there something I am missing? Already I can see a difference with the PST with the contrast of the background being much darker (more black) than the PST.

A few questions:
- To use the pressure tuner do you remove the black cylinder completely every time you use the scope? So basically do you set the scope up, focus with the dial, remove the pressure tuner and put it back on every single time?
- Do you need to remove the pressure tuner and put it back on (about a couple of turns) after you use it until the next time you use it (when in storage)?

Once I removed the pressure tuner I looked at it and went "oh crap". Even though the instructions said to do it, for me it didn't feel right (there was grease plus it felt like I was taking apart the telescope piece by piece). At one point I didn't think I could get the tuner back on!
Hi Stefan,

I've only had to remove the pressure tuner knob completely a couple of times in the 5 months I've had the LS50. The first time you remove it, it seems like you'll never get it back on because it is difficult to match the threads on the knob to the ones on the brass part attached to the scope. But after doing it a few times, I find it just takes a bit of patience and I can get it back on with no issues. My experience is that when you can turn the pressure tuner knob all the way in (toward the scope) and still feel like you need more adjustment, it's time to remove it to re-pressurize it.

If you move the solar disk around in the field of view, you'll see that there is a location (for my scope, slightly off center to the lower left) where I find the area of best tuning (where I can see proms all the way around the disk). Then I turn the pressure tuner knob to try to bring out the maximum detail and brightness in the proms. Hope this helps.

Lunt 50mm H-Alpha telescope with B600 blocking filter and LS50c (compact double-stack module)
Skyris 132m camera

My photo gallery: http://www.astrobin.com/users/robinandcurtis/
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

swisswalter wrote:Hi Stefan

congratulations on the first light. There is nothing wrong with what you report. The DSLR tripod is really only for a very quick view.

I do remove the PT knop before each session, but that is not necessary as long as you see proms and faint surface details. Usually I have to turn in the PT knop almost to the max. That depends on your Situation (altitude, temp and air pressure as well as the etalon)
Will keep that in mind.

Thank you.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

saguaro wrote:
04Stefan07 wrote: Basically I took off the Pressure tuner (black cylinder) and placed it back on. I did see some prominence's appear but was expecting a bit more detail. Is there something I am missing? Already I can see a difference with the PST with the contrast of the background being much darker (more black) than the PST.

A few questions:

Hi Stefan,

I've only had to remove the pressure tuner knob completely a couple of times in the 5 months I've had the LS50. The first time you remove it, it seems like you'll never get it back on because it is difficult to match the threads on the knob to the ones on the brass part attached to the scope. But after doing it a few times, I find it just takes a bit of patience and I can get it back on with no issues. My experience is that when you can turn the pressure tuner knob all the way in (toward the scope) and still feel like you need more adjustment, it's time to remove it to re-pressurize it.

If you move the solar disk around in the field of view, you'll see that there is a location (for my scope, slightly off center to the lower left) where I find the area of best tuning (where I can see proms all the way around the disk). Then I turn the pressure tuner knob to try to bring out the maximum detail and brightness in the proms. Hope this helps.
Thank you, this definitely does help. I thought I broke something when I first tried it!

By the way what tripod do you use?

saguaro
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by saguaro »

04Stefan07 wrote:
saguaro wrote:

A few questions:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you, this definitely does help. I thought I broke something when I first tried it!

By the way what tripod do you use?
I use an old field tripod from my vintage Celestron 8 inch SCT. My husband welded me a custom adapter plate that let's me attach my Takahashi Sky Patrol equatorial mount to the tripod. Works great!
image.jpg

Lunt 50mm H-Alpha telescope with B600 blocking filter and LS50c (compact double-stack module)
Skyris 132m camera

My photo gallery: http://www.astrobin.com/users/robinandcurtis/
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Robin

Oh what a sunny place. great adapting job from your husband

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

saguaro wrote:
I use an old field tripod from my vintage Celestron 8 inch SCT. My husband welded me a custom adapter plate that let's me attach my Takahashi Sky Patrol equatorial mount to the tripod. Works great!
image.jpg

Very nice setup there.

I have an HEQ5 Pro I can use as my main setup but want to look for a portable option as well.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Currently looking at an AZ3 for a portable solution.

Weather is looking to be mostly sunny this weekend so will crack out the scope then and have another go!

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Weather is PERFECT today however the universal adapter I have only has one screw hole. I went to move the Lunt on the mount and the whole telescope just moves out of place so I removed straight away incase the screw got loose and the telescope falls. That would be the last thing I need!

Was told this adapter would be fine but I was originally after the Lunt Dovetail but as usual everything is out of stock in Australia.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stefan

please pics of that shabby universal adapter

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

swisswalter wrote:Hi Stefan

please pics of that shabby universal adapter
This is the adapter.

http://www.telescope.com/14-20-Adapter- ... p/7388.uts

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Stefan

Thank you, well a LUNT deserves something a little bit sturdier