Missing filter in Coronado Solarmax II 90?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
RTJoe
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Missing filter in Coronado Solarmax II 90?

Post by RTJoe »

Hello!

Before starting with my question, I would like to introduce myself. As Walter has already noticed (thank you for the friendly welcome :D ), I'm a new member on this site. Since some months I was already following the discussions and have learned a lot (special thanks for the "flat bag" hint).

My name is Joachim, I'm a software engineer living near Stuttgart, Germany. My solar equipment are two H-Alpha scopes (Solarmax II 90, Solarmax II 60) and some Baader white light filters. Although I like visual observation, my latest toy is the ASI174.

Now to my question: Yesterday I received and installed a MoonLite focuser for my Solarmax II 90 (report will follow). According to the detailed description, I should unthread a filter lens from the focuser's drawtube and install it in the provided MoonLite adapter (see pictures from the installation manual).
From MoonLite installation manual, part 1
From MoonLite installation manual, part 1
SolMax01.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
From MoonLite installation manual, part 2
From MoonLite installation manual, part 2
SolMax02.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
But inside my helical focuser there isn't anything like a filter. There is nothing (besides tube parts) between OTA and blocking filter, the silvery part on the pictures is missing. Here is the picture of my disassembled focuser:
My Solarmax II disassambled
My Solarmax II disassambled
What kind of filter should it be? Is it really missing or was there a design change?

Thanks in advance,
Joachim

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Missing filter in Coronado Solarmax II 90?

Post by Montana »

A very warm welcome :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:

I have absolutely no idea but I am sure all the technical guys will sort you out soon :) I can't wait to see some solar pics when you get it fixed.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Not sure, but if there is nothing in there to swap over to the Moonlite then that is it I guess?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
RTJoe
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by RTJoe »

Alexandra, thank you for the warm welcome! :D I have already made some pictures of this scope/camera combination before installing the MoonLite focuser, but the quality is not really good because I'm usually too lazy to leave my balcony with very bad seeing caused by the heated roofs of the neighborhood.

Mark, I'm sure you are right. The view through the scope was fine; therefore I guess no essential part is missing. Unfortunately there was no time or no sun until now to test it with the new focuser. But I have read some people have put an IR filter in front of the blocking filter to protect it from thermal stress and I wonder whether such or another kind of filter might be useful and missing.

Greetings,
Joachim

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I have a feeling it is the older versions of the 90 that have a filter in the focuser?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
GUS
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by GUS »

See 'BF30 Too bright' thread by Fraz in this section, probably what the Moonlight focuser instruction is describing.