Lunt LS60 DS vs. Solarscope Solarview 60 SS

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Lunt LS60 DS vs. Solarscope Solarview 60 SS

Post by Calavera »

Hello,

I just think about adding a "little" grab&go scope to the equipment - what would you prefere: Lunt LS60 Doublestack with pressure tuning, BF1800 and Feather Touch or a Solarscope Solarview 60? The solarscope is known to be very, very good and the bandpass should be somewhere between the SS and DS Lunt...

Someone knows both systems and could tell about the differences? Otherwise any opinion is welcome! :)

Cheers!
Calavera

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt LS60 DS vs. Solarscope Solarview 60 SS

Post by marktownley »

I think both would be excellent, but if pushed would go for the double stack lunt.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

thanks! - do you know if the Solarscope could maybe doublestacked later on too?

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

yeah, double stacks are available.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

If it were me it is DS every time, but you can always buy a double stack for the Solarscope too, so either would be a great scope. I am biased and love Solarscopes so any advice from me will be the Solarscope every time :lol:

Alexandra

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi - meanwhile I managed to bring two scopes in here for testing...

A Solarscope Solarview 60 SS and a Lunt LS60 SS (B1200, Tilt-Tuning, Crayford) - short version: Both scopes are great! :)

The Lunt is very, very good and suprised me a lot for a single stacked scope! It clearly shows prominences as well as filaments seen as cloudy beeings with a lot detail and the sky in the background is very dark. The tested one is from 2011. Only week-spot is a clearly seen unsymmetrical halpha FOV (sweet spot) - it can be affected by the tilt tuning with which you can change the position of the sweet spot - but it will not dissapear completely. But for me it´s not such a big thing as you may think because the B1200 leaves enough space with very sharp an nice halpha structures.

The Solarscope...? well - everything the Lunt can good to very good the SV60 can even a bit better... A bit darker background, a bit darker filament structures, a bigger sweet spot and in my opinion the biggest difference (not too big... ;) ) finer and more brilliant prominences. BUT compared to the price it´s - hmm... - next theme ;)

So for a maybe 20% better picture you pay around 300% of the price of the Lunt still on the used marked - but it seems often to be like this - if you want to improve a just very good system - costs raising exponential...

Mechanical I like both scopes very much - and the Lunt´s Crayford is good in my view too - especially if only used for visual viewing.

Finally both socpes must leave the stage if the LS152 comes in game... - if going just a little bit higher in magnification the resolution just beats everything you can see in the smaller scopes - but takes a lot longer to bring the scope in position and so the big strength of the 60ies is the grab&go factor.

So which to keep? Really don´t now... love them all - but would be great to see what a DS Lunt can do...

Cheers
Calavera

Lunt60:
+ great prominences and filaments for a SS system
+ great mechanical fit
+ easy handling and light
+ very good quality/price ratio - especially for used systems
- sweet spot clearly seen - but not too bad

Solarscope:
+ just a bit better in everything ;)
+ bigger blocking filter (20mm vs. 12mm on the Lunt - but missed nothing with the 1200...)
+ bigger etalon filter (60mm vs. internal ??mm on the Lunt) if this is an advantage...?
- a lot more expensive - where the bigger filters should explain most of that.
Last edited by Calavera on Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Keep it square!"
_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

Try the pressure tuned version of the Lunt. it should remove the sweet-spot effect.

Re the Crayfords, I personally think that the standard GSO Crayford is a terrible choice for a scope of this price and quality. At the same time i feel that the Feathertouch (nice as it is) is probably overkill for what it can carry.

I found that a stock Baader Steeltrack (for Newtonians) fits perfectly and is a very, very good focuser. And it's less than 50% of the cost of the Feathertouch.

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi Zak,

yes the steeltrack is a very nice focuser indeed - but I can´t see any problem with the Crayford too - I like it :) Maybe it´s a problem with heavy equipment like a binoviewer - but for monocular viewing... just nice - and I can´t watch stereo... so unfortunately no option for me...

The air pressure system is great too - know it from the LS152 but a bit heavy on the other side ;)

Well - both very nice to have - but nevertheless great scope without too...

"Keep it square!"
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Carbon60 »

I'm still waiting for my DS unit for my pressure tuned Lunt60 (3 months now). When it finally arrives, I'll be able to run side-by-side comparisons, but I'm expecting the DS to be a significant improvement over SS. My only concern is the increase in exposure time, currently at 6ms for the SS. This probably won't be too much of an issue with FDs, but could be for closer views given the generally poor seeing that we get in the UK.

BTW, I love the Lunt 60. It's a great 'grab and go' scope IMHO.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Carbon60 wrote:
BTW, I love the Lunt 60. It's a great 'grab and go' scope IMHO.

Stu.
That´s the point! :)

Btw. I asked about doublestacking the Solarscope and yes it´s possible but in this case you can´t go back again - so if doublestacked it stays doublestacked for all times ;) Ken told me it should be well thought about as prominences will not be shown that clear anymore... - of course for the improvement of surface details on the other side.

"Keep it square!"
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I disagree that the prominences will be less visible, I have taken some of my best prominence images in DS. In DS it is much easier to take prominences and surface all in one shot too. The only difference is that the exposure times will be quicker in SS that is all (the prominences do not disappear).

I wonder why it will be permanently DS'ed? is that because he removes the ERF from the front, and the DS stack has the ERF on it instead? very curious.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Entirely my thoughts too Alexandra.

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Montana wrote:I wonder why it will be permanently DS'ed? is that because he removes the ERF from the front, and the DS stack has the ERF on it instead? very curious.
hmm - can´t tell you - got the info from Ken himself - maybe he adds the second etalon fix inside the scope so that you always would need the original front etalon with the included ERF... Singlestack would then maybe be possible if you take of the original filter and put an separat ERF in front... - but that wouldn´t be original... But really don´t know.

Today was only a very little chance for watching but the views just with the singlestacked SV60 were outstanding - so who really needs doublestacking ;) :D

...and having in mind the high price for doublestacking the SV60 I maybe would think about doublestacking the LS152 first ;) - the actual generation of DS modules for the "big one" should have less problems with halos and ghost-images as I heared...

"Keep it square!"
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

ah stop it! - he just gave me the reason in the mail:

"...Because the objective lens has to be mounted and sealed in the second etalon unit in order to maintain focal length, means the Solarview telescope cannot then be used at 0.7 angstrom with the single front ERF unit and our preference specifically for prominence observing."

"Keep it square!"
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Weird!

Alexandra

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

...well finally I was lucky and could get a LS60 DS module and now really can compare site by site :)
IMG_9708.JPG
IMG_9709.JPG
IMG_9710.JPG
IMG_9712.JPG
Both scopes are great! and one couldn´t go wrong with either of them.

My impression put in numbers is as follows: (100% = best / 0% = worst)

SV60:
Proms: 100% Filaments: 85%

LS60SS:
Proms: 85% Filaments: 75%

LS60DS:
Proms: 75% Filaments: 100%

Well this is absolutely my personal and visual only impression and the LS60 suprised me a lot when first looking though it in SS! As mentioned above the SV60 can everything a bit better here - but putting the DS on the front of the LS60 it was just a very big "WOWW!" as all surface details become so contrasty and crisp... simply great! All the proms are just visible in DS too but as the picture is a lot dimmer they are not as brilliant to see as in SS.

The SV60 is a little bit compacter then the LS60 and a real grab&go scope - but the Lunt is not much behind here too.

The SV60 has a more even FOV - especially re. H-Alpha details - but the LS60 with DS is.... simply great!!! :)

Mechanical both are great!

So at the end I couldn´t say there is a real winner because there´s absolutely no looser when the Lunt is equipped with the DS. Did I mention that both scopes are simply great?

Cheers
Chris

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the comparisons Chris

Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

Many thanks for your honest appraisal , most refreshing :)

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Re. the sweetspot of the Lunt - in my tilt tune version it´s about 50% of the FOV where H-Alpha structures are perfect - and that´s just enough to get the whole sun in - so I really have no problem with that as the views are stunning sharp and contrasty there . When adding the DS module to the scope there appears a clear ghost image of the sun (a complete second one - great! ;) ) but this is far outside the FOV so I can´t see any effects of it when looking at the real one. Only problem... - I just focused my view to the ghost sometimes when settled the telescope and wonder then why the sun is so fuzzy... - the ghost giggles then - while I go on to the real star... (reminds me to some scenes of Super Mario - as you know what I mean ;) )

"Keep it square!"
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think double stacking will always win hands down, when I first saw a double stacked image I couldn't believe it, I had been missing half of the Sun for years ;)

:hamster:

Alexandra

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Agreed, once you double stack you won't go back. Another alternative for the Lunt DS internal-external would be a Lunt or Coronado external-external double stack - which is the most ideal because it has no field angle magnification -- and why SolarScope does it that way.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi,

for some experimenting before some months I bought a used Coronado Solarmax 60 filter together with a BF15 in package just a little bit over 1k EUR - so not too much compared to the other options around.

First I just want to compare it against the original Lunt DS unit on a Lunt LS60 - which worked very well with a special made adapter - as you can read here: http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17511

But a first manual test with this filter as DS-unit on the Solarscope was so much promissing, that I ordered a second adapter for this scope too. It was a little bit tricky as the thread of the Solarscope is very fine and not very long too - so I sended the dustcap with the order as master... The result is just perfect! The adapter fits for scope and filter of course - and just reaches for about 1mm over the objective ring with the Solarview writings (I didn´t wanted it to be scatched ;) ).

Well meanwhile I got this adapter back - and what should I say the result is the abolute best locking DS view I ever have seen. And the best thing - I can just screw down the second etalon and use the scope as SS like before.

I really don´t now why the solution is not offered from Solarscope original... - they offered me only a DS rebuild for about 4k EUR :shock: what was of course not an option - not at all as the scope then could only be used as DS as you can read above...

First I had some fears of ghost images - they are there of course but just so far away from the main picture that they don´t disturb anyway. Another great thing is, that the original tilting adapter of the Solarmax is not needed - I get the best picture just without it.

Compared to the Lunt DS - this are the pros:

- absolute no reflexes in the main picture and an abolute black background too
- tuning is needed only via one tilting unit (the original Solarscope one)
- absolute even picture all over the field
- second etalon much lighter compared to the lunt DS unit
- a lot of details all over the sundisc with greatest contrast - shows definately more details then the other scopes
- prominences just seeable in DS mode
- picture a litte bit darker then in SS but not to much

Maybe this sounds a little bit too euphoric - but the result is really that good! :)

To come back to the above rating...

SV60DS:
Proms: 95% Filaments: 150% :D

Here are some pics of the setup...
IMG_4725.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4730.JPG
Last edited by Calavera on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Keep it square!"
Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

Now that's what I call DSing !!! ... I'm very jealous ... what a superb set up :)

Brian

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Thanks Brian! Was a long journey to that final solution for a grab&go HA-scope... :)

"Keep it square!"
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

So it is a Solarscope with a Solamax on the end for DS, for the final version?

:hamster: :hamster: :hamster: I'm glad it works well, I look forward to some images through it :)

Alexandra

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

yea will try it with the Skyris when the sun comes out again... Today I just put my Canon G9 behind the zoom ocular but the results wasn´t that good as I hoped for... But visually it gives all one can hope for :)

but now... clouds, clouds, clouds.... :(

"Keep it square!"
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Well, just checked the pictures I made today with the G9 direct through the Seben Zoom ocular and find some interesting things I would like to show here...

The camera has an maybe 6cm long objectiv which comes out of the body when turning the camera on. I just layed the camera with objective side down directly on the the backside of the zoom which seems to be in balance just without holding it. Then I turned the cam in manual focus mode and played a bit with the focuser too trying to get a sharp picture on the backside screen. Looks like I didn´t do it very good ;) but maybe enough to demonstrate...

In the first two pics with the zoom at 24mm - you can clearly see the ghost images around the main picture - but just if it loocks here as if the the main pic is washed out by reflexes too... it definitely isn´t :) it just shows how fare away the ghost images are...
Ghost-Suns.JPG
IMG_4699.JPG

The third picture with the zoom at about 12-15mm shows the combination of promineces and filament - but just can´t give an impression of the visual view of course which is crystal clear and even instead.
direkt1.JPG

Maybe interesting for someone... :)

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by Calavera on Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great results and setup!

Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne »

Hello,

sorry, i found this thread to late.
I think, somebody here knows Markus Ludes from APM-Telescopes.

I tested side by side his brand new selected solarscope 60 with my selected APM/Lunt 60 BF1200 without Pressure-Tuning.....

Who is the winner ?
My Lunt60, Markus was amazed and he said, why I sold it... :D :D :D

The chef from Lunt / Germany, was so enthusiastic, when he look through this scope with the Harry Siebert Binocular, he had never seen this quality.... :D :D :D
But my scope is modified.
I can not tell more !!!

Chris,
sorry, i forgot, your demo-pictures are very good and show exactly the h-alpha problems....wouw. :bow
very good idea.

sunny Greetings :D
Achim

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi Achim,

if you had a LS60 better then a SV60 you are a very lucky man :)

Until now I could test two LS60´s directly next to the SV60. Both Lunts where nearly equal so I would guess they represent the standard - and both where good. But as mentioned above in SS the Solarscope could do everything just a bit better.

The biggest advantage of the SV in my opinion was maybe the more uniform view of HA-details all over the field where the lunts have a clear sweet spot - walking around while tilting the system.

When doublestacking the systems other points come in... Both systems get dimmer then in SS but more in the Lunts - so that some proms just dissapear while they stay clearly seeable in the Solarscope-Solarmax combination. To get a brighter view in the Lunt DS I use a modified blockfilter with another red glas inside. Another fix is that the blockfilter is tiltable to reduce reflexes which are more in the Lunt too.

So in the SV combo I dont need any of this fixes and just get a (in my view) perfect picture of a very contrasty sun :) and it just needs only one tiliting unit, which is another advantage.

Would be great to hear what kind of modification you are using - sadly you couldn´t talk about it ;)

Well the pics above aren´t very good of course but they nicely demonstrate that proms and filaments are equaly seeable in DS - just imagine a crystal clear and detailed view with an absolute dark background and you get an idea ;)

CS
Chris

"Keep it square!"
Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne »

Hi Chris,

i know about the problems you describe.
I often see and hear it.

if you 're making doublestack, the two etalons must be rotated against each other to find the best h-alpha :!:

Today i phoned with W.Quere, the chief of Lunt/europe.
He gives me the e-mail from Andy Lunt.

I send Andy an e-mail, ask him, is it allowed that i post my tests and experiments here in SolarChat.
Now i wait for an answer.......

Achim

Valery

Post by Valery »

Solar-Cologne wrote:

I send Andy an e-mail, ask him, is it allowed that i post my tests and experiments here in SolarChat.
Now i wait for an answer.......

Achim
I expect you will not hear from Mr. Lunt.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Solar-Cologne
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar-Cologne »

i will wait......

Valery

Post by Valery »

Solar-Cologne wrote:i will wait......
And why do you need to have his permission to public YOUR OWN experiments results data?

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I agree...

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi guys,

nice weather for watching today and with all the adapters I got over the time - I found out I could do some testing with a new combination...

So what could ever be better than a perfect Doublestack System?

Right! a Tripplestack System :D

So normaly I just wanted to sell the Lunt LS60 and the DS-Filter for it as I thought to have found the perfect 60mm system for me... but as until now nobody wanted to have it - it is still here. And now after I found out the possible combination with the solarmax filter... at least the DS filter will stay ;)

Here are some pics:
IMG_0486.JPG
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG

Contrast of filaments and prominences is great! well now I need an adapter to mount these two filters to the Solarscope SV60 - which should even give a little bit better picture again ;) Only downside here could be that the picture gets too dark as I couldn´t use the modified blockfilter of the Lunt. It stays interesting ;)

Cheers
Chris

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Excellent! I've just started using a triple stacked 40mm scope.

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Well, a interesting thing I found (but beware - I just used the system once... so I´m not too sure about that) is - that the effect of straylight and the position of the tilting systems does have a smaler influence on a triple system then on the double or single stack system - I don´t now why...

But hey - as the results are in a way better as you would expect with a further etalon - I don´t care :)

So after all this testing - here is my personal grab&go top system list:

1. - Lunt LS60THa + Lunt LS60F + Solarmax60 (triple)
2. - Solarsope SV60 + Solarmax60 (double)
3. - Lunt LS60THa + Solarmax60 (double)
4. - Lunt LS60THa + Lunt LS60F (double)
5. - Solarscope SV60 (single)
6. - Tak FS76DS + Solarmax60 (single)
7. - Tak FS76DS + Lunt LS60F (single)
8. - Lunt LS60THa (single)

Let´s see if a - Solarscope SV60 + Lunt LS60F + Solarmax60 (triple) system can reach for the first place .

...ah! and a Tak + Lunt LS60F + Solarmax60 (double) is unchecked too ;)

Will keep you informed

Cheers
Chris

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Here's an example of an image I got from my TS40 this afternoon...
ts2-bw.jpg

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Great! looks similar to the view in my TS ;)

"Keep it square!"
Valery

Post by Valery »

I have tried a TS several times with 50mm etalons and never found it better than DS. No new details and always significantly darker and require much more efforts to make image any kind symmetrical.

Valery

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi Valery,

interesting... - maybe depends on the etalons??? I could imagine that if you´ve very well filters that cut the H-Alpha wavelength very good the third etalon will not give any advantage anymore... - but only my guess...?!?!?

I can only describe what I saw: "triple" clearly better then "double" - and that view was great! :)

The darker image I fight with an optimiced blocking filter (other red glas, and tiltable blocking element) which gives a much brighter image than the original Lunt setup - works great at double and even better at triple... But I fear if I use the Solarscope SV60 with it´s internal 20mm blocking element the image could get too dark... - I will try it out :)

Regards
Chris

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote:I have tried a TS several times with 50mm etalons and never found it better than DS. No new details and always significantly darker and require much more efforts to make image any kind symmetrical.

Valery
Hi Valery, i've tried it before too in a number of configurations, with no real success. However this setup i've got running quite clearly does work and works well. There is minimal loss of brightness compared to double stack, I think I had an exposure of 1/50s compared to 1/70s for DS, of course I only use an ERF on the outer etalon. Really easy to shift the ghosts out of the fov too. I'm not sure there will be any new details, but it does make the details that are there much easier to see. The filaments are etched on the disk, with the whole disk seemingly being peppered with bright spots of plage, around active regions it really is very bright. The disk has a 'hairiness' to it. Here's a shot from it with an even illumination over the disk.
TS-Ha-BW.jpg
I'll certainly be using this setup from now on, next stage blocking filters ;)

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

When I tried it first I wasn´t hoping to get any real advantage of the triple-setup. Then the view was just breathtaking - just the way I always hoped for visual watching - especially when theres so much action on the surface as last sunday.

Very interesting was that the prominences was very good to see too - just as on you picture... I thought they will disappear completely with three filters...

"Keep it square!"
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Got my new adapter today - well this Lunt DS unit is a bit bulky... but who cares!

Now, sun! come out! ...............pleaaase!!!! ;)
Attachments
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Very nice!

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi,

today some sun spots between a lot of clouds... but enough to do some testing and watching :)

Unfortunately the triple (Solarscope + Lunt + Solarmax) works not as good as the triple with the Lunt LS60. With the Solarview the view is just dimmer as in double stack but did not show more details...

On the other hand I found that the Lunt 60 DS unit works very well together with the Solarscope SV60 - I would say even better as the combination with the Solarmax filter... I could´t see any halos and the ghost images are much farer away from the main sun-picture as with the Solarmax. Details seemed nearly the same but this needs some more testing as the clouds was not forgiving and allowed only short views all the time.

So new hitlist:

1. - Lunt LS60THa + Lunt LS60F + Solarmax60 pre Meade (triple)
2. - Solarscope SV60 + Lunt LS60F (double)
3. - Solarscope SV60 + Solarmax60 pre Meade (double)
4. - Lunt LS60THa + Solarmax60 pre Meade (double)
5. - Lunt LS60THa + Lunt LS60F (double)
6. - Solarscope SV60 (single)
7. - Tak FS76DS + Solarmax60 (single)
8. - Tak FS76DS + Lunt LS60F (single)
9. - Lunt LS60THa (single)

It seems the results vary very much by the individual filters of every scope so I guess this list is not representativ for other scopes but gives an idea.

cs
Chris

"Keep it square!"
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

For those interested...

Meanwhile I gave away my Lunt LS60THa including the DS unit to finance another project. So finally in this class I go with the above mentioned Nr. 3: Solarscope SV60 + Coronado pre Maede SM60 for doublestacking. The loss is not very big - what I most prefered with the triple stack was the clearness of proms - but I found out a single pre Meade Coronado SM90 shows much more details at promineces then any tripple could ever do :)

The system was very front heavy too and it took me always some time to configurate all the components in a way they work well together... the SV60+SM60 is just a plug&play solution at about 90% of the final result.

cs
Chris

"Keep it square!"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

A very interesting thread Chris, thanks! :)