Good focal reducers for Quark?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Good focal reducers for Quark?

Post by Brett » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:54 pm

There are a couple of cheap brand focal reducers on the market to use with the Quark, but are there any reducers that will be better in terms of dispersion and spherical abberation that would go well with the Quark and a cmos camera? Also, would a 1.25 inch or 2 inch reducer be better fitted to the Quark?

grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Good focal reducers for Quark?

Post by grimble_cornet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/

Valery

Post by Valery » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:39 am

There are really no good reducers for Quark. Most of them are just a achromat doublet lenses with their own
sets of aberrations. The worst are field curvature, field astigmatism and spherical aberration.

I noticed that if I focus the system for the center, then field edges are softer and wise versa.

And the slower the telescope you do use with Quark, the better a given reducer works - as expected.

Valery.
"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.

Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:11 pm

As I have told many customers, the cheap reducers are not made for tele-centric beams like the Quarks. The only one I know of is the Baader 0.7x Tele-compressor. These are not cheap (£209) but work. They have 2" threads. Unfortunately they are very hard to get hold of

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:56 pm

I have and use the Baader Solar Telecompressor. It is great and shows none of the uneven field illumination, curvature and softness towards the edges like the cheapy 0.5x version I first tried. I whole heartedly recommend it.
http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!