Update on LS100 DS Ghost

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Gert
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Update on LS100 DS Ghost

Post by Gert »

Hello All,

We discussed the ghosting issue in my Lunt LS100 when adding the DS unit in a prev thread.

http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13805

Lunt tech support recommended an upgrade to the DS unit called the HRG glass. I received the glass last week and this Sunday having wonderful deep blue skies was the ideal opportunity to test it. I ran a comparison of the LS100 without the HRG part and then with the HRG part with all other settings same. The results are negative. The HRG part does not help with the ghosting. I compared same exposures with the same camera settings. As recommended by the tech support I went through 3 rotations of the DS unit to determine if/when the ghost would be rotating to identify the responsible part. But no effect was seen.

What do the experts recommend to resolve the ghosting?

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Update on LS100 DS Ghost

Post by Valery »

HUGE! Horrible effect!

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Have you tried using a different camera? what happens when you rotate the camera and keep everything else static?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Gert
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Gert »

Hi marktonley,
marktownley wrote:Have you tried using a different camera? what happens when you rotate the camera and keep everything else static?
Yes, multiple camera rotation has been tested to no effect. In addition the same camera used in single stack testing with no ghosting. See photos in first discussion thread.

Clear Skies,
Gert

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I think Lunt need to be looking at getting you a replacement unit, this is not acceptable!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

What do the experts recommend to resolve the ghosting?
Return internal DS components for refund or credit, apply to purchase of a LS100 front etalon.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Have you tried to clamp something flat on one side of the DS unit when fixing it to the tube - so that the whole unit is a little bit "tilted" - maybe you don´t need much to reflect the ghost out of the FOV... Or maybe you could loosen the screws a little bit when viewing - so that you could tilt and experiment with the unit a bit - but be carefull!!!! to don´t let it fall.

The ghost looks very similar to the one I have when mounting my front DS unit at the LS60 - but this one is far outside the FOV then...

On the other side... just send it back would be a good possibility too...

Regards
Chris

"Keep it square!"