Do you also have this effect with your Quark?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Do you also have this effect with your Quark?

Post by Brett »

In a previous post, I mentioned that I am seeing dirty spots through my Quark. I have cleaned the surfaces of the Quark, and the problem persists. It is definitely not in other parts of my optical train. Only when rotating the Quark, does this image (attached) also rotate. The image attached was taken by defocussing the view so that you can see the defects which I am referring to.

Is this normal? It is quite distracting when the view is in focus. I would assume it is not normal, but then again, I do not have any other H alpha knowledge to compare to.
Attachments
20150918_145547.jpg

grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Do you also have this effect with your Quark?

Post by grimble_cornet »

Nope......... I see nothing like this.
When you say that the spots rotate when you rotate the Quark.......... if nothing else rotates (camera, focal reducer, ERF, UV/IR cur filter etc) and you have cleaned the nose-piece blocking filter and eyepiece trim filter then; the spots must be inside the Quark.
It is possible to unscrew the telecentric and check the glass surfaces in there (they have been known to haze over) but it will almost certainly void your warranty!
My first Quark had a bright spot which was very obvious when using an eyepiece but fortunately outside the fov when used with a camera. I managed to capture it with my phone pressed to the eyepiece:
IMG_20140819_155332.jpg
This is a flat field from my present Quark showing a total lack of spots (other than a dust bunny at the edge of the camera sensor:
Quark  FLAT Grasshopper at 1280x960.jpg
Try taking a flat (place thin plastic eg clingfilm food wrap over the telescope dewshield, capture about 100 frames and stack as usual - or just a single frame with dslr etc) to see how bad your spots really are.

Best advice is to contact your dealer if your results are worrying.

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brett »

Hi Mike

Yours surely seem a lot better than mine... Unfortunately I am waiting for my planetary cam to get back from QHY. It seems that I am having a streak of bad luck coming my way equipment wise the past few months.

I must say that, if it was not for these "spots" all over my FOV, I really would have enjoyed the Quark. Unfortunately this is very very distracting at the moment. I have sent Daystar an email about it and hopefully get a response soon.

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

Hope everything works out for you.
Daystar were very helpful when my second Quark developed tuning problems but its a long, slow round trip from the UK to their factory!

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brett »

Yes, not very excited. I'm in South Africa, so it is going to be a mission to get it to there and back.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

What was the picture taken with Brett?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brett »

Hello Mark, I just took a defocussed image with my Cellphone camera through the Quark. The telescope is the William Optics ZS71. I doubt that these are defects of the cellphone camera. This image shows what I am seeing with my eyes as well.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The 2 spots are definitely dust bunnies, i've found one of those air blowers is best with my quark for removing them. Are you definitely on band with the quark?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brett »

Mark, the thing is that the outside surfaces of the Quark is as clean as a whistle. So the dust bunnies are then somewhere inside the Quark. I am afraid to open up the Quark to not lose my warranty.

But, the two dust bunnies are not the only culprits. All those "worm like" thingies are also distracting on the Solar disk when the Quark is in focus.

As for being on band: I spent a few days now just observing and tuning the Quark. The overall best view in terms of contrast and detail is somewhere on +3 or +4. At this stage I am leaving it at +3. Its difficult to decide between the two, but it should be close enough to being on band on either of that settings.

I would just like to clarify that beside these "dirty spots" and "dust bunnies", I am loving the view through the Quark. On average seeing, the background is pitch black, and I cannot believe all the detail I am getting, even in this small 71mm telescope. Really incredible. Cannot wait to get this minor issue sorted out.

Brett
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brett »

Hi all, I would just like to finalise this post by saying that my issue with the Quark has been resolved. It was sent back to Daystar and they confirmed the faulty etalon. I received a new etalon in my Quark and the issue is gone. I am one happy guy now. :hamster:

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

Good news - even if it has taken a very long time to resolve.
Look forward to seeing some images.

Mike Garbett