sm60 double stack

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

sm60 double stack

Post by BertUK »

Just wondering if there would be any benefit in moving from a sm2 60 double stack to an sm2 90 for visual and imaging purposes.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: sm60 double stack

Post by marktownley »

None at all i'm afraid.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by BertUK »

marktownley wrote:None at all i'm afraid.
is that really true mark,no noticeable size difference visually?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I re-read your original post, sorry, was being blind. Going from a DS60 to a SS90 will offer an increase in resolution at the expense of contrast.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by BertUK »

ok thanks,is it worth going bigger for the price difference as I'm more of a visual than imaging person.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I would really try and do a side by side comparison between the 2 scopes to see what is best for you.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A double stack wins everytime for visual.

Alexandra

piekielrl
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by piekielrl »

Sorry I'm jumping in late here, but I've had both, as probably several of you out there have had also. My experience in terms of VISUAL performance, from low to high, was in this order:

SM60 single
SM90 single
SM60 double
SM90 double.

Notice that I'm saying the SM 60 double-stack out-=performed the SM90 single-stack.

That being said, I sold my SM60 and re-invested in a 90, but kind of wish I hadn't for one simple reason: SIZE. The SM60, even double-stacked, is not much bigger than a PST. It will go on just about any mount, even a good camera tripod, and all the "controls" are within easy reach (including turning and tilting of the front etalon).
The SM90 is HUGE and HEAVY in comparison, end need a much beefier mount, and is a real pain-in-the neck to work the front etalon, because you can't reach it while sitting at the eyepiece, unless you have the arms of a 7-footer. You have to stand sideways or backwards at the eyepiece to reach it, and this makes precise tuning a bit of a hassle. It almost requires TWO people to operate (easily). These factors make it not-so-pleasant to haul out and set up at a moment's notice.

So why am I keeping it? 1) I'll never be able to afford another one, 2) I don't want to advance money out for another SM60, then try to sell the 90, 3) I have a matching Coronado 90 CaK scope (and you all know how rare those are) with NEW filters (both CaK and CaH) courtesy of Omega Bob, and also a hand-built HeD3 scope built out of Coronado 90 parts (looks like a Coronado 90 but is in fact HeD3). Together, these three identical-looking scopes really wow the crowds at solar outreach programs, which is a big part of what I do.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Bob

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi Bob,

I have DS'd SM90s (on an even larger and heavier ED100/900), and I can relate to most of what you have said about size, tuning, convenience, etc., but for me these are secondary to the benefits of the increased aperture of a 90 mm over a 60 mm filter. There is just no substitute for the increased aperture. I think for the ideal portability nothing could beat the Lunt LS80 -- which keeps the portability of the 60 and retains the increased aperture, and seems to have great contrast uniformity for an internal etalon system. Only wish Lunt would supply a front 80 for stacking, but you could probably adapt a SM90 for the DS.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

Bob Yoesle wrote:Hi Bob,

I have DS'd SM90s (on an even larger and heavier ED100/900), and I can relate to most of what you have said about size, tuning, convenience, etc., but for me these are secondary to the benefits of the increased aperture of a 90 mm over a 60 mm filter. There is just no substitute for the increased aperture. I think for the ideal portability nothing could beat the Lunt LS80 -- which keeps the portability of the 60 and retains the increased aperture, and seems to have great contrast uniformity for an internal etalon system. Only wish Lunt would supply a front 80 for stacking, but you could probably adapt a SM90 for the DS.
Can't agree more.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.