White Light Wedge setup

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

White Light Wedge setup

Post by 04Stefan07 »

I just purchased a 1.25" Lunt White Wedge and polarising filter. Currently overseas and was able to purchase it from Teleskop-Service who by the way have fantastic customer service. Purchasing and picking it up was a sinch!

Initially I purchased it thinking it was an accessory for any Lunt solar telescope (not thinking that it wouldn't actually work haha) but I planned out how I could still make use of it.

I decided to buy an Orion Shorttube 80 package and will be mounting my existing Lunt LS50THa on top of that so it will be both an Ha and White light setup.

Are there any tips or advice on using the white wedge? Do I need any other filters?

Thanks,
Stefan.

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: White Light Wedge setup

Post by Montana »

It really depends on what you want, I find a Solar Continuum filter great for imaging as it adds better contrast to the granulation, but I know folks don't like it visually as it makes the Sun green.

If you are imaging and your optics are not well corrected for UV/IR then a UV/IR cut filter is a must to get sharp in focus images.

These are the two main issues :)

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Just give the package you have got a try and start from there...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by grimble_cornet »

I would also suggest trying a continuum filter for imaging - it really improves contrast for me.

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/