difficult choice: uv/ir filter for Quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
OscarP
The Sun?
The Sun?

difficult choice: uv/ir filter for Quark

Post by OscarP »

Hello:

i have a Daystar Quark (Chromosphere version) in a Meade etx70 and i am using a Baader uv/ir blocking filter (2459207A) 1.25" before Quark. Now, i have purchased a 102 Skywatcher startravel refractor with AZ goto mount. More light, "better" focuser (etx its a pain), i can use a good diagonal (etx have a integrated diagonal...
Its time to do the things correctly: the filter must be before diagonal (and before quark). My dielectric diagonal its 2" so i must purchased another filter . (sure i´ll use the 1.25" in the quark, two filters for safety for my two eyes). I am sure one ERF before the telescope lens are the best solution, but i can´t pay for one now.

Well, i thing there are 4 options, please , some advice for them? I have read a lot of but now its time to purchase in 2" (only for use with diagonal):

1-Baader uv/ir blocking filter (2459210A): the tipical, a lot of good reviews with quark.
2-Baader H-alpha CCD Filter HWB 35nm (2458380). the no-tipical. Some experts guys talk about it.
3-Astronomik UV-IR Blocker/ or IR blocker: i have some confusion about models.
4-Daystar uv/ir cut filter: low stock. Must be the better a Daystar filter for a Daystar quark?

Thanks for all.
And congratulations all the people for this fantastic page.
OscarP

grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: difficult choice: uv/ir filter for Quark

Post by grimble_cornet »

For what its worth.....
I have been using a 2" Baader uv/ir blocking filter with my Quark for over a year with no problems and pretty good images. It was supplied by Rupert of Astrograph.net along with the Quark so I was fairly confident that it would be OK.
I have used this filter in front of my 2" diagonal (or in the extension tube where I can have a 'straight through' arrangement which I prefer) with scopes ranging from 60mm to 120mm.
I recently purchased a 152mm f5.9 scope (same optical tube as used in the Lunt 152 solar scope) and tried 60mm Baader ERF fitted internally. This worked pretty well but, in an attempt to get the best results possible, I have now moved up to a 160mm external ERF. Very expensive so I'm hoping for even better results.

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Valery

Re: difficult choice: uv/ir filter for Quark

Post by Valery »

grimble_cornet wrote: a 152mm f5.9 scope (same optical tube as used in the Lunt 152 solar scope) and tried 60mm Baader ERF fitted internally. This worked pretty well but, in an attempt to get the best results possible, I have now moved up to a 160mm external ERF. Very expensive so I'm hoping for even better results.
I have experimented with 150mm F/5 refractor and different H-a etalons + 50mm 35nm internal ERF, with Lunt 50mm ERF and with full aperture Aries ERF.

With full aperture ERF obtained the best resolution due to better seeing - no internal heating at all, no any small scale air turbulence - only atmosphere turbulence which is much easier to fight with (thanks to Fire Caprture, AS2, AviStack 2.0 and AstraImage 3.0 ).

The larger the scope, the more help from a full aperture ERF. Up to 11" tested. Now I make a 15" for my C14.

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.