Quark visual image too dim, please help

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
sloth713
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Quark visual image too dim, please help

Post by sloth713 »

I have a Quark Chromosphere and have been using it visually over the summer/fall with a lot of frustration. I have been using the Quark exclusively in an Explore Scientific 80mm APO with 32mm and 24mm plossl's. Basically it seem like the image is just too dim to pull good detail out of; I have to use a thick black cloth and completely cover my head to even begin to see a decent view. Even with the cloth the image is so dim that my PST ultimately show my eyes more detail.

Is a dim image normal for a Quark in 80mm scope?
Is there anyway to get a brighter visual view with my set up?
Any advice or other thoughts to help me with my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Quark visual image too dim, please help

Post by marktownley »

Sounds unusual, I use an 80mm scope and the image is really quite bright to the point I find using an ND filter can help matters. Have you spoke to the retailer you got your quark from?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Hi, I had a look through my Quark Chromosphere last week for the first time and I am using a 140mm aperture. It was so dark and fuzzy I couldn't see anything at all with a 20mm lens, a bit on par with my CaK PST and that is saying something! I would call it pointless as visual. However, Rupert said I was using the wrong lens, if I used a 40mm lens it would be bright and I would see something. I can't test this theory as I don't have one, but if you do why not try it and see if this helps.

Alexandra

Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

I use my Quark visually in 66 to 150mm scopes with a selection of 25 to 40mm EPs
and have to report that I find the image brightness to be normal to bright
compared to other HA filters I have experience with ... so if dull I would suggest
there may be an issue !

Brian

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
sloth713
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by sloth713 »

Thanks every one for your input. I bought my Quark directly from Daystar. I have sent them an email about this and will let you all know what they say.

-Chris

grimble_cornet
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by grimble_cornet »

My Quark is far brighter through a 60mm f8 scope than I get with my SM40.

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
jetstream
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by jetstream »

Its the exit pupil... the "barlow" of the Quark (about 4.3x)... starting to get pretty small with your eyepiece. My best views with my 90mm f7 are had using an eyepiece reducer and a zoom, but it works great on my 32mm,25mm TV plossls. Finding a low mag, 1.25" eyepiece without a "floating" exit pupil can be a challenge.

Gerry
SW 120ED Pro,90mm Stellarvue
Baader Cool wedge, Quark Chrom
Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

Slightly of topic ... again I say that I find Quarks to be hard work visually !

They are not "nearly" as easy to use as normal HA scope configurations ...
the vignetting is terrible , you have to have your eye exactly in the right position
to see things regardless of EP ... they do require some effort visually.

Brian

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Any optical system has limits. the basic rule of thumb to match eyepieces to systems and get an optimum result is that the focal length of the eyepiece should be double the f ratio. Therefore and F30 system needs a 60mm eyepiece. In reality this is not possible but you should try to get close.

With a Quark you have a 1.25" clamp. The best eyepiece to use with it is a 40mm plossl. Go shorter and all you will get is a dark fuzzy mess. You can adapt the back of the Qaurk to take 2" eyepieces and potentially use a 55mm plossl. In reality this is not practical. Apart from the size of this combination and your eye exposed to the glare of the sun (unless you observe under a blanket), the FOV of the 55mm takes in the back of the Quark. The red glow of the sun is enough to illuminate the rear metalwork so it just looks bad. A 40mm is always the best eyepiece to use with a Quark and will give you the best contrast and most detail

Dan
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Dan »

Chris
I use the quark on my Williams Optics 132 mm and a StellerVue 80 mm
It's works well with both scopes .
The 80 gives a full disk view and the 132 of coarse is high power maybe 1/3 of the disk in the field of view.
Never have any problem with images being dime in either scope.
I found the the cheap Plossls , Celestron, Meade do a great job .
My good deepsky eyepieces , Delos, Naglers, Panoptics don't give a very good image .
Not sure what eyepieces your using but try a cheap Plossl, I like the 25mm Plossl, and a 40 mm Plossl both Celestrons.
Last resort call DayStar, they are very helpful
Dan