Advice on cameras

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Advice on cameras

Post by Brendan »

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new camera to use on my Lunt50 and an 8" Herschel newtonian I'm building, I've only got £600 so fairly limited in choice, I've heard a camera with a Sony chip is best at reducing newton rings (something I currently suffer with when using 3x tele-extender) been looking at Celestron Skyris 236m, any advice would be gratefully received, by the way I'm using a Macbook air (partitioned) with firecapture at the moment.

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Advice on cameras

Post by marktownley »

Hi Brendan,

At that price I would recommend a PGR grasshopper. Don't go near the Skyris IMHO! Speak to Rupert at Astrograph http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrog ... Categories

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I second that but have a read of this too

http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17660

Alexandra

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brendan »

Thanks, looks like I will just have to save a bit harder and go for Marks recommendation. Thanks for you replies

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Do speak to Rupert though at Astrograph too, he's the man for cameras! :)

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brendan »

Will do, thanks Mark

Brendan
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Dear Brendan

I hope your having a good Christmas....

Newtons rings are not something that PGR cameras seem prone to BUT it is as much about the whole scope / camera combination and manufacturers implementation that causes the trouble. Sony chips are not immune. ZWO, QHY and Imaging Source cameras (inc Celestron) all seem prone to rings. I can only say that I have never suffered from them with PGR cameras but that does not mean that they cannot. They are easy enough to get rid of though.

PGR cameras (IMO) are lower noise and overall give better results than other brands I have tried. They also tend to be ahead of the game when working with the newest chipsets. The Grasshopper is the ultimate camera I think and now it starts at £650 with all leads, inc Genika Astro it is a very good value. If this is the upper end of your budget, also consider the Blackfly range as this is nearly half the price. The chips used have the same performance except for frame rate.

If you need to know any specifics, please feel free to ask

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brendan »

Thanks for that Astrograph (Rupert?),
I have made my mind up to go for the Grasshopper U3 32s4m @£650 but will not be able to order for a week or two (need to replenish funds), I have use of a PGR Flea3 the society has just bought, but the skies have not been good since we received it (hoping to try it tomorrow). I considered the Blackfly and may be tempted if funds fall short. Be in touch soon.
All the best.

Brendan
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You won't be disappointed with the choice Brendan :)

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brendan »

Well, camera has finally arrived, now where is the Sun!

Brendan
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

What is this sun you speak of?