Coronado etalon finesse peaks far from H-A

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
piekielrl
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Coronado etalon finesse peaks far from H-A

Post by piekielrl »

In the recent past, I've seen some posts here where members with access to a spectrograph have shown the finesse graphs of Coronado etalons. The range has always been close to the Ha band. For those of you who have done this or seen these, how far do the peaks go into the visual spectrum? Do they go all the way to the blue-violet? The reason I'm asking this is that if these other peaks coincide with other significant solar-viewing bands, i.e.: HeD3, Na, CaK, etc., it should be possible to use one of these etalons (with proper blocking and trimmer filters) to make a tunable solar scope in other wavelengths besides Ha.
Can anyone enlighten us here about the overall finesse of these etalons?

Thanks!
Bob Piekiel

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Coronado etalon finesse peaks far from H-A

Post by Merlin66 »

Bob,
In theory you are correct!
The "comb-tooth" band passes extend across the whole spectrum.
I uploaded a wide bandwidth image (spectroscopic) a couple of years ago based on the SM60 etalon.
There's probably a technical method of determining the resonance spacing which could give a "first approximation" to the "target" wavelengths - getting suitable blocker is a different challenge.
(I'm hoping that the spectroheliograph will supersede the need for etalons/ blockers and give detailed solar images at ANY nominated wavelength and ANY nominated bandwidth)

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

Merlin66 wrote: (I'm hoping that the spectroheliograph will supersede the need for etalons/ blockers and give detailed solar images at ANY nominated wavelength and ANY nominated bandwidth)
The only problem remains to solve is an image quality par with an etalon.
All the pictures taken with SHG I saw, were of low resolution.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

With good conditions they can do pretty well.
112115_dcv_usm.jpg
Variable seeing during the scan can be a real problem. On the other hand, no (affordable) etalon system gives comparable spectral purity to a properly constructed spectroheliograph.

As for peaks far from the design wavelength, the coatings on the etalon are optimized for the design wavelength, the reflectivity drops off quickly as you move away in wavelength and with it the finesse.

Observing the Sun with complex optical systems since 1966, and still haven't burned, melted or damaged anything.
Not blind yet, either!
Light pollution? I only observe the Sun, magnitude -26.74. Pollute that!
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

As Joe says, the SHG can give some creditable images....
I think the key to future improvements is the fast scanning rate (of cameras like the ASI174) and then combining a series of scans (taken within seconds of each other) to improve the SNR and allow stacking/ wavelet enhancement.....
Watch this space.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I've tried before with my double stack etalons removing the Ha ERF and blocker and using the CaK filter at the rear of this; it passes CaK light, but offers no tighter bandpass than just using the CaK filter on its's own with no etalons. The downside was reduced transmission and longer exposure.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!