Bit of play near focuser on Lunt LS50THa

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Bit of play near focuser on Lunt LS50THa

Post by 04Stefan07 »

I have noticed since I got my Lunt a while ago there is a bit of play between the focuser and tube. Check out in the photo below where the arrow is pointing to.

It moves very slight which causes everything attached up to the blocking filter to move.

Not sure if they are all like that. Also when I used the Lunt for the first time in a while last week as I was focusing it was making a kind of a sticky noise (only way to describe it!) Maybe because I hadn't used it in a while?

Does anyone have a similar issue?
Attachments
12510487_10153902411642220_1760895220547377259_n.jpg
12510487_10153902411642220_1760895220547377259_n.jpg (187.04 KiB) Viewed 6388 times

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3
Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Bit of play near focuser on Lunt LS50THa

Post by Brendan »

Hi Stefan, my Lunt 50 has that play, I can't say I've noticed any detrimental effect.

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

If you're saying the play is in the threads of the helical focuser and the interface of the threads of the red pressure tuned section then that is a easy fix. Use some plumbers (PTFE) tape, unscrew the focuser, wrap the focuser threads with tape (exact amount will depend on how much play), screw it all back together and trim off any excess unsightly tape. This method works well with the PST etalon assembly too which suffers from play in the threads too.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

@Brendan
Looks like it might be a common issue or part of the design with these scopes. Yeah there isn't any serious effects at all. If you centre the Sun in the eyepiece and then push the BF then the Sun will not be centred. Not a huge issue at all because you can easily re-centre it.

@marktownley
Sounds like a good fix Mark. Will need to have a look.

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
Lowjiber
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Lowjiber »

Stephan, the helical focuser on the Lunt 50 is a design and manufacturing nightmare. The "sticky noise" you heard is caused by one, or both, of the following:

1. The small Philips screw that can be seen when you run the focuser all the way out, is scraping against the outer tube. This will be evident by metal shavings in and around the screw. Within two hours of operation of my new Lunt 50, I had Lunt replace the focuser two times. On the last one I received from Lunt, that screw literally fell out when I backed the focuser out.

2. The two focuser tubes are not concentric, the difference in the two eventually causes so much wear that metal shavings begin to appear when focusing.

I finally (after three focusers) called Scott at Starizona to purchase a Borg helical focuser and the adapter that Starizona makes for the Lunt 50.

Note: Because Starizona is a Lunt dealer, you won't find either the Borg focuser or the adapter on their website. You need to call Scott. He's very aware of the problems associated with the OEM focuser and will hook you up. :D

John

Lunt 60 PT B/1200, Quark-Chromosphere, and ZWO ASI120MM & ASI174MM Cams.
GuillermoBarrancos
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GuillermoBarrancos »

I am highly disappointed in Lunt reading about these issues. First there were the manufacturing issues, with people having to wait 6 months or longer for their delivery.... and now this.

I know they try to press the prices down and compete with the Quark in price, but I think people rather pay 50 to 100 bucks extra for a normal functioning focuser, instead of this helical nonsense.

I was jumping of joy (almost literally) when they announced the Lunt 50 and wanted to order one, but the moment I discovered it came with a helical focuser, it was an instant anti-climax and I went for the Quark chromosphere instead.

And now a year later I can´t say I regret my decision to be honest.

It´s crazy you were pretty much forced to fork out more cash to buy the borg helical focuser (which ain´t cheap) to get a proper functioning scope and as I see you have the B600 filter option.... you basically ended up in the price range of a Lunt 60t with normal focuser.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

That isn't comforting knowing that the screws might be scraping and creating metal shavings!

I will check out my scope tonight.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Scope looks ok but there is that bit of play when I am focusing.

Can get annoying at times.

nickatnight
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by nickatnight »

Tightening that little screw fixed the play on mine. I believe my screw loosened as I kept trying to adjust focus with the focus lock screw tightened. Do this enough and the screw works its way loose. I've pretty much trained myself not to try and rack the focus with that focus locking screw tightened. Just forget sometimes when my head is buried under a hood. It's been a few months without a need to tighten it as I've been careful.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Just reviving an old thread!

I think a company in the UK or US has made I think a cray style focuser for this Lunt?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Both Moonlite and Starlight offer retro fittable quality focusers for this scope.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Live_Steam_Mad
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Live_Steam_Mad »

Yep, my LS50 has the same annoying play in the same place, where the helical focuser meets the Etalon body. My serial no. is 20158xx.
Best Regards,
Alistair G.