More rudimentary questions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rbenton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

More rudimentary questions

Post by rbenton »

Everyone has been so helpful but it seems the more I learn, the more I need to know. Ya know? Anyway I have some basic questions I hope someone can help me with as I prepare to dive in head-first. Regarding the myriad choices of cameras, is there an advantage to CCD over CMOS sensors (or vice versa)? Is there an advantage to a rolling shutter over global shutter? As I am looking for a high-res camera, am I sacrificing much by choosing a higher resolution at the expense of high frame rate? It seems that one minute of video at 60fps equals two minutes at 30fps. Finally, could images made with good monochrome still camera compare to images obtained from a monochrome video camera? I hope I am not annoying everyone with all these basic questions, but I am about to spend actual money on equipment, and I want to choose wisely. Thank you all for your expertise.

Randall Benton

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: More rudimentary questions

Post by Brendan »

Hi Randall, CMOS is much better than CCD, you need lots of frames that video gives so you can grab the good frames, the higher the fps the better, global shutters are supposed to be better than rolling, but having used both I found the rolling shutter to be ok.

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,