Lunt LS152 Calcium module - worth a try?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Lunt LS152 Calcium module - worth a try?

Post by Calavera »

Hi together,

what do you think about the LS152 calcium module (which comes combined with a crayford focuser)?

Is it still worth a try? or do I better go with a calcium quark these days?

And do you know how big the Cak Blockfilter is in that thing? I can´t find anything about it in the net... is it a standard size or chooseable - and if how could I find out if buying a used one - there is nothing written on the module.

I just tried a Lunt 60 calcium scope with B600 - which I didn´t liked much so I sold it... (very uncomfortable to watch). Would the LS152 be a better choice?

Thanks! and cs
Chris
Last edited by Calavera on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Keep it square!"
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt LS152 Calcium module - worth a try?

Post by Montana »

What do you mean by 'uncomfortable'? you couldn't see anything or the eyepiece wasn't right?

How old are you?

If the answer was 'I couldn't see anything' and 'I am over 50 years' then perhaps CaK is not for you in any shape or form ;) perhaps a camera would be better :)

Alexandra

Calavera
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Calavera »

Hi Alexandra,

:) - no I´m not 50 - not just 40... but maybe close ;) and I could see the CaK details - but the contrast wasn´t very good. Uncomfortable was, that I felt it was needed to look directly on the optical axis - a bit aside and details start to disapear I could´t describe it very well - was a bit like black beans (blackouts) with critical kind of eyepieces... I thought the B600 was the reason for that but I´m not sure...

Chris

"Keep it square!"
Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

Chris CaK is much more satisfying via a live view or imaging.And you will have difficulties with the eyepiece as the exit pupil is so small with all that light.Have a look at Pedros set ups he does exceptional CaK with the big Lunt scope.

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

I've just bought a Lunt B600 CaK module and 72mm f6 scope. The combo works perfectly well for imaging. Still tweaking to maximise performance, but I'm very pleased with how it's going.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Valery

Post by Valery »

In my opinion, you don't need a calcium module larger than B1800.

This is absolutely enough for a telescope 80 - 127mm F/9-10 for visual observing and for a full disk images.
And this is absolutely enough for any telescope for a close up high resolution imaging.

And this is too pessimistic scenario. May be B1200 will be enough too, but the difference in price is small
and so, B1800 CaK is a good choice for most cases.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Chris, the Lunt 152 CaK module is basically a 'normal' CaK module on the end of a solar wedge to keep the thermal load off the filters at the larger aperture.

Looking through a B600 will be like looking through a drinking straw, basically it vignettes the eyepiece used to having a 6mm field stop. Eyepieces are transmission dependent on the coatings used, some work, some don't down in the blue end of the spectrum.

The CaH quark is quite different to the Lunt CaK in the sense it is very easy visually to see an image, it offers a clear aperture (field stop) of 21mm so you are unlikely to get vignetting with most eyepieces. It has slightly less contrast than a Lunt CaK, but for imaging offers fast exposure times. Given it's cost too I would seriously consider giving one a try.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

one more note if it matters to you…

Lunt Solar Systems has been the biggest sponsor of our solar outreach program, this forum, solarastronomy.org and everything we do here to spread the hobby since the first day we started.

Daystar has never offered or done anything to help our program, which played a large role in making their quark the success it is through this forum and it’s members.

Make your choice wisely.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org