Lunt 80 bf1800

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
at dusk
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Lunt 80 bf1800

Post by at dusk »

Hi, everyone.

Although I've been reading you for a long time, this is my first post here.

I need your advise. I've owned a lunt 60 bf600 for three years. I love this scope. It provides amazing views of the sun. I use for visual 90% of the time. Sometimes I take pictures with a QHY5-LII. I post some of them just for reference.
0304.png
0304.png (654.51 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
sun115_183403.png
0404-p1.png
The thing is that a fríend of mine has offered me a used lunt 80 bf1800 pressure tune. I would have to invest around 2000 $ and sell my current lunt 60 to purchase it.
I'm not sure if it's worthy. As I previously said, I love my 60. One of the things I like most is that the 60 with a porta mount is a really grab'n'go set up.
Would the increase in aperture make up for the difference in weight and mount requirements? Would it really increase the "wow factor" in visual and the image capabilities.
I appreciate your help

rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Lunt 80 bf1800

Post by rxdeath »

noticed you hanging so i'll try to help -- keep in mind like so much in life a lot of this is going to be based on my experience, with some facts thrown in.

so a lunt60 vs a lunt80 is no contest, the 80 alone is going to reveal more detail because of the increased aperture. considering you're taking pictures and versatility, a 1800 goes a long way. i use one on both my lunt152 and lunt 60ds without issue, a 600 is much less useful across a range of scopes. also i can't really tell but if your 60 isn't pressure tuned and the 80 is you'll notice the uneven bandwidth/sweet spot isn't an issue with pressure tuning.

the porta ii is good to 20lbs so you'll be pushing it if you get the double stack, but should be ok. obviously someday an eq is good, or they have a decent hand controller for the portas for ~300usd that will track for ~10 minutes.

so in short this is a no brainer as far as the instruments, shouldn't need to upgrade your mount and will get a good increase, many (myself and i think the founder of this site) believe the lunt80 is the absolute best deal in solar instruments today.

i think your numbers are pretty close, a brand spanking new one is around 4200, so by the time all your dealing is done you would want to get a better deal than that otherwise you should just buy a new one, also consider the 30-60 day wait time if you bought one new.

if you have the bug and know you're going to use it, its great. if you don't think it's going to last a long time in your life, then 2k goes a long way with other things, but if you're here asking if you should restrain yourself, this is the wrong crowd lol. i bet the amount spent by people on solar telescopes in this forum is dare i say it: astronomical. i went from a lunt60 tilt to a 60ds/pt and then a 152 in about 20 months.

all of this being said, please pass me your friends email if you pass and they don't mind as i might be interested :)

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

agreed

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
mattwastell
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by mattwastell »

Hello
If you are mainly visual the 80 will provide the wow factor. I have no experience with your camera but you will get more details if conditions allow.
I use my 80 & 60 on the same mount (separately) - what mount do you use?
The 80 is still a grab & go scope - bigger but still quite easy to move / get around.
Have fun!

Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

You will not regret the larger aperture and as Matt said the 80 is still portable.

at dusk
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by at dusk »

I'm sorry I haven´t had time recently to thank you all for your answers.
Certainly I was looking for someone to advice me not to spend so much money in another telescope. But this is not the best place for that.
Although I didn´t mention it, I was in two minds. I didn´t know if I should buy the lunt 80 or keep my 60 and purchase a quark. I thought it could be great in combination with my tsa 120.
Eventually I purchased the lunt and I think I made the right choice. It's really lightweight and any mount can handle it. And the sun through it is absolutely amazing.
These are my first images with the new set up taken in two windy days

Thanks, Rafa

Imagesube

Imageimagen jpg

url=https://postimage.org/]Image[/url]subirimagenes

Imagesubir imagenes gratis

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

:hamster: :hamster: :bow excellent!!