Want to order Solar Scintillation Monitor - questions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Want to order Solar Scintillation Monitor - questions

Post by GaborKiss »

Dear Forumers,

I just showed a friend here in Hungary the SSM, he would like to order it immediately. But before he does, he asked me to be sure it's capable of doing the following. Not only tracking the average seeing - but with a software it can automatically make the camera to record videos during the best seeing conditions?

Let's say I start the session, and I set the setup to record only when seeing is better than 1.5 arcsec for example. It means it will only record (would be an ASI cam) during the 5 minutes or so when the seeing is good or better?

Does Valery make these SSMs?

Thank you,
Gabor

Currently out of equipment, but still around to see your images! :)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Want to order Solar Scintillation Monitor - questions

Post by Montana »

Frederic at AiryLab makes the SSM.

It will record at moments of good seeing and you set the value. If you set it at 1.5 and your seeing was averaging around 1-2 it might be triggering the camera all the time. You need to sit and wait and see what you are getting first. Most folks try for below 1 as a starting point. Once the camera is triggered it will record the set number of frames you have defined, it doesn't wait for the seeing value set point and stop and start. Not sure I am descibing it very well ;)

Alexandra

GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

Alexandra,

Thank you! So it starts once, but then even if seeing gets worser I have to stop manually?

Otherwise I could make some kind of autoguiding, go to do my things and the SSM would be the recordings all day automatically, right? :)

I thought I can do such automatisation. I would be glad if someone who is using it could give me some feedback about the automatisation possibilities with it's software.

Thanks again Alexandra!

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

Here is the link to the AiryLab SSM: http://www.airylab.fr/AirylabUS/index.p ... &Itemid=72

To use the SSM camera trigger you would also need to use Genika Astro, the AiryLab camera control/acquisition software (instead of FireCapture for example) The SSM acts as an external trigger and the Genika Astro lets you set the quality threshold...looking at their website it appears to be a very sophisticated capture program with capabilities well beyond amateur/hobby astronomy...I would think it can be configured to work like you're describing as long as you're using a solar guider like the Hinode Hutech...
Here's the Genika Astro link: http://www.airylab.fr/AirylabUS/index.p ... &Itemid=54

I have been interested in buying one however the AiryLab acquisition software does not support my camera and since I'm the only one using the particular camera for solar...so there's no reason for them to do the work to required to make it work.

Frederich is also a forum member (his solar images are among the best ever presented SolarChat) so I suspect he will respond directly and answer all your questions.
BTW...AiryLab also makes the HaT solar telescope

Good luck!

GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, so it seems with solar guider (as my friend just ordered the Hinode Hutech), he can make automatic captures? :) Woww... That would be great.

Can you link some of Frederich pictures? Or if you give his username I am sure I saw them.

Regards,
Gabor

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

He's on SolarChat as: jp-brahic

Here's his website with outstanding photos: http://jp-brahic.chez-alice.fr/

GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

Yes of course I follow his work, thank you! :) I will write him right now.

Thanks!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Gabor, the SSM is excellent. You will need the Genika capture software to automatically record the images when the seeing is the best.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Hello !
I'm not Jean Pierre although we know each other very well and we live in the same area. But he has a far better seeing than I do :p

Some of my images are here : http://astrochonum.com/index.php?option ... =6&lang=en

As for the SSM, we exchanged with Gabor by mail :)