TecnoSky152 H-alpha scope - worth the price?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: TecnoSky152 H-alpha scope - worth the price?

Post by Astrograph »

Ah Frederic, you have now set me a challenge with my 6"! :D Accepted!

I think with planetary it is more the good compromise of aperture / focal length and focal ratio that makes the C14 popular. Personally I prefer a big Newtonian but that is its problem. Its very big. Better still I would prefer a big Mak but very heavy and very expensive. C14 solves many problems, just like the Tecnosky 152, lot of aperture for the money......sorry, had to get the thread back on track for Gabor!

I think this is the issue. We can all suggest more exotic and expensive solutions but for £800/€1000 it is a lot of scope for the money for solar

GuillermoBarrancos
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GuillermoBarrancos »

Exactly, in the end it all comes down to budget.

If I won the lottery, I know what I would buy in a heartbeat. Alas.... back with two feet on solid Earth and in the end you just have to deal with budget constraints.

With the 152 refractor, if only used for imaging, you can still get away with a 2 inch internal ERF, as has been proven on this forum by people that have this scope and use it with either Quark or PST mod.

When you start talking RC and SCT's, you immediately end up having to invest in a full aperture D-ERF and with 8 inch aperture RC or SCT, you quickly exceed the scope price for the D-ERF alone.

So while, with the Tecnosky 152 + 2inch Baader ERF + Quark Chromosphere, you are done at 2000 bucks, while with a 8 inch RC or SCT setup, you are quickly looking at 4000 bucks. Quite a difference!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Astrograph wrote:I will contact you privately about this so we can discuss in more detail.
Awwwww, this would be a good topic to discuss as another thread! Interesting subject! :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

GuillermoBarrancos wrote:
So while, with the Tecnosky 152 + 2inch Baader ERF + Quark Chromosphere, you are done at 2000 bucks, while with a 8 inch RC or SCT setup, you are quickly looking at 4000 bucks. Quite a difference!
The difference in resolution in Ha cost money. We can't get all at a low money.
The larger the scope, the larger the cost of each step higher in resolution.

If one is OK with a 6" aperture then all seems more or less inexpensive. But even in your described setup there is a limitation - a 2" internal ERF = such a telescope will not work at it's best most of the time. Especially at a warm season when we have enough sunshine.

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.