Which tilt adapter and what about focus?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
bobmoss
The Sun?
The Sun?

Which tilt adapter and what about focus?

Post by bobmoss »

I should be shortly receiving my new Quark and will be using it with an ASI120MM which I understand suffers from Newtons Rings and I'll need to get a tilt adapter.

I see there seems to be 2 tilt adapters out there, the Rowan Astronomy tilt adapter with a spherical joint and the Teleskop Express T2 Tilt Adjuster. The first one seems to have a lot more adjustment than the second. Is there much difference between the two? Which one do I need to get?

And what happens to focus if you use a tilt adapter, surely if I am tilting the camera one side of the image goes out of focus? Even the tiniest of movements can throw out your focus so I can't get my head around how a tilt adapter would work!

Thanks.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Which tilt adapter and what about focus?

Post by marktownley »

I prefer the Teleskop express variant, easier to adjust.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

There are three I keep as follows;

The basic TS version. This is simple and apart from putting a bit tape around it to stop any stray light will do the job. Adjustment screws on the camera side.

Rowan. The spherical joint makes this light tight and keeps the camera more centered. However its not very useful with a Quark if the Quark is fitted with a T2 adapter in place of the eyepiece clamp. The reason being that the allen screws to adjust it are on the Quark side, not the camera side so there is actually no room to adjust it, so not suitable with a Quark in my opinion unless you put a T2 to 1.25" nose on it and put that in the Quarks standard clamp.

Daystar. This is curved tilt adjuster which has the most adjustment and can be adjusted by hand and locked with just two thumbscrews. Unfortunately its £139, but out of the three, its the only one I reach for because of its adjustment ranges and tool free nature.

As you have an ASI120 what you might want to try first is using the nose piece on the camera with the Quarks clamp. There should be enough 'wobble' due to the tolerances so you can wedge the camera to cause some tilt.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Astrograph wrote:Daystar. This is curved tilt adjuster which has the most adjustment and can be adjusted by hand and locked with just two thumbscrews. Unfortunately its £139, but out of the three, its the only one I reach for because of its adjustment ranges and tool free nature.
Do you stock this Rupert?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Yep, one of the many things waiting to go on the website......

bobmoss
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by bobmoss »

Thanks for the replies.
Astrograph wrote:There are three I keep as follows;
As you have an ASI120 what you might want to try first is using the nose piece on the camera with the Quarks clamp. There should be enough 'wobble' due to the tolerances so you can wedge the camera to cause some tilt.
That sounds like a good plan - I'll give that a go and then once I've got a bit of experience with it see if I actually need an adapter.

Thanks.