Lunt 60 HAlpha Scope

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
stergio
The Sun?
The Sun?

Lunt 60 HAlpha Scope

Post by stergio »

Hi All,

This is my first post as I have been bitten by the solar bug (after being introduced by a friend's friend) and decided to purchase a solar scope.

Been a long time lurker :D , reading up on set ups etc. Now decided to finally register and ask my questions.

I have settled on Lunt 60mm - 1200 Blocking filter crayford focuser, pressure tuned system.

Quite a few threads here mention double stacking, honestly I cannot afford the additional £1000 but in future would like to upgrade.

1) If i decide to double stack later, do I need to buy a front etalon (bit that goes on the front?)+ blocking filter (diagonal element?) or just the front mounted etalon?

2) Is it better to wait (save up) and buy a double stacked scope or do people generally add/ double stack when funds are available.

3) Could I request on suggestions for entry level CCD camera.

I've got a second hand mount for free :D (It is a celestron 8se)

Thanks for reading, clear skies.

Stergio,

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt 60 HAlpha Scope

Post by Montana »

A very warm welcome Stergio :) a good choice for a Halpha telescope!
With a double stack you only need to buy another etalon, the blocking filter will be the same as for the single stack. I bought my single stack first then saved up and bought the double stack etalon. This is quite normal.

For entry level CCD you will get many different answers. The questions to you will be
Where do you live? what are you interested in imaging (full discs or high res)? would doing a mosaic be a problem for you?
if you lived in the UK, I would definitely contact Rupert at Astrograph for good advice as he will be the very best person to advise on a camera that is best suited to your budget and requirement. I think he also sells outside the UK too. http://astrograph.net/

Alexandra

stergio
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by stergio »

Thank you Alexandra,

Thats good to know, I can start saving the pennies...I'm based in Midlands will contact Rupert.

Btw, you might see a similar post on stargazers. Apologies for double post, I rather double stack :)

stergio
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by stergio »

In addition to your question, as of now will be observing and then moving on to imaging.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Welcome Stergio! Alexandras advice is spot on, get in touch with Rupert for help with the camera.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

Just to throw a spanner in the works an 80mm SS will give you a much better wow factor visually than the 60mm.The 60 mm however is a great scope and very portable .It is what I use for a quick look on days I cannot image.It is also a great scope for full disc imaging( see Matt Ws posts).
In all honesty if visual is your primary aim a bigger aperture will be better.If at all possible try to view through a couple of scopes before you purchase.
Hope this helps.

woody
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by woody »

I realize I'm chiming in here rather late, but I have a slightly different opinion regarding the visual "WOW Factor" between the LS60 and LS80 -- and the standard Lunt Crayford focusers. I

have both scopes -- LS60/PT with the red 60mm external tilt-tune etalon (not the white 50mm), and a LS80/PT/DSII. My LS80 now has the FT focuser (after very bad experiences with the standard one), and my newer LS60 has the stock Lunt Crayford focuser.

Yes, the 80mm is brighter. But what I noticed was the big WOW Factor difference was between the blocking filters. I use BF1200 blocking filters with my LS80 (straight-through for imaging, diagonal for visual). I read all the recommendations regarding blocking filters for the LS60 before I bought it and based on those, bought the cheaper BF600 for it. YUCK!

Me being me, I put the BF1200 on the LS60 to see if there was any difference. WOW -- there was a huge difference. I know there's not supposed to be. Brian S. from Lunt told me there shouldn't be that much difference for visual observing between the two. But seeing is believing for me -- and the BF1200 is just plain much brighter and dramatic -- on both scopes. And everybody I've demonstrated the two blocking filters to agrees. It's not even close. It's day versus night.

So at least for me, the biggest brightness difference was changing to the BF1200. I and everybody who has looked through my LS60/PT/60FHa w/ BF1200 think it has an outstanding visual image.

And regarding the standard Lunt focusers. I suspect there's a lot of mechanical and assembly difference between the SAME focusers! When I bought my LS80 many years ago, I couldn't afford the FT focuser even though everybody told me the stock one wasn't suitable for imaging. So I bought it knowing full well I'd replace it as soon as I could afford to.

It turned out that this particular focuser wasn't even suitable for visual observing! It slipped like crazy. So I'd tighten up the little friction screw on the bottom. It would work for an hour or two, then start slipping again. I cleaned everything with alcohol. I adjusted that thing and adjusted that thing. I talked to Lunt several times. When it started requiring THREE adjustments during a single public outreach session I gave up on it.

I found an old JMI EV1 on the shelf, bought the adapter ring for it, and put it on my LS80. It was a fantastic improvement. In probably 4 years it never slipped once. But it wasn't so good for remote electric focusing. So I now have the 2" FT with Optec WiFi focus motor on that scope. Very slick. Works perfectly. But this is also a rather expensive combination.

When I recently bought my LS60/PT, it was primarily purchased for visual public outreach use. Lunt and other LS60 owners assured me that I'd be fine with the stock Crayford focuser. So despite my bad luck with the standard Crayford on my LS80 -- that's what I went with -- the much cheaper stock Crayford on the LS60.

And guess what? It's wonderful. It hasn't slipped once or required any friction adjustments.

So I'm thinking that once again, Chinese quality control (or lack of it) accounts for a lot of the differences and complaints in these focusers. The "good" ones work very well. And the "bad" ones don't ever work properly.

Woody