Strange issue with Quark T Thread adaptor

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Strange issue with Quark T Thread adaptor

Post by PDB »

Hello,

together with my Quark, I ordered a Quark T-Thread adaptor. When I wanted to use it a few days ago, it did not fit as it should. Unscrewed the eyepiece holder then putting on the T-thread adpaptor I could screw it 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and then it is completely stuck. On another forum i found the thread should be something like 1.375" x 24, which is 3,49cm x 27 TPI. TPI i can't measure so i measured the outside diamer of the thread on the adaptor: 3,49 cm. That looked ok (seems to be the same a the old celestron visual back, so tried it on the old C8 tele-extender, perfect match)

Then i measured the Quark eyepiece holder: 3,45 cm. So a difference of 4 mm. This makes that the adaptor does not fit in the thread on the Quark (measured the same on the female thread in the Quark)

I called my supplier and he did some tests with the same type of adaptor on his quark. Fits perfect. He measured the outside diameter of the adaptor: 3,49 cm. Exactly the same as mine.

So we both are confused. (we do some more tests next week) If anyone had similar problem, or could measure the diameter of the thread on their quarks with a slide caliper I would very much like to know the results.

Kind regards,

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Strange issue with Quark T Thread adaptor

Post by marktownley »

Is there any swarf blocking the threads?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Mark,

nothing blocking it (at least nothing that I can see). Just a little bit smaller. The EP holder fits very smooth.

Rgrds,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

The Quark thread (where the eyepiece holder fits) is not a T-Thread. It's some obscure imperial thread (1.375"...Celestron used the same thread on some ancient eyepiece projection adapters).
A T-thread will engage, but will foul quickly. I'm betting that your adapter is a standard T thread.
You need one of these:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapte ... quark.html

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

I have this adapter http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa4.htm. But that does not fit on on the Quark. The Quark thread differs with 0,4mm from 1.375"x27TPI. I have the old C8 Visual back that is indead the same thread, but does not fit the Quark either. (What i mentioned in the message)
Looks like the Quark I have has sightly different thread (3.45cmx27TPI or 1.358x27TPI?) Same adapter seems to fit on other Quarks.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

Hi Paul,

I have the Rowan Astronomy one too. It sounds like a machining error on the Quark, unless they've changed the thread pitch?

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

That is what I am trying to find out ...

Rgrds,

Paul