A ZWO ASI 178 with an odd artifact

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

A ZWO ASI 178 with an odd artifact

Post by gabrieli »

I looked at ZWO's camera lineup after getting my ASI1600 and saw a camera that had some interesting features - an ASI178 with a 6MP, 1/2" sensor with a decent frame rate, and a low price. I ordered one and started using it as soon as it arrived.

What I saw, frankly, shocked me. It wasn't the image quality but rather a lattice pattern that covered the entire screen which almost seemed to me to be a reflection of the photosites on the sensor off the back part of the protective window. I wrote to the supplier and the response to them from ZWO was that every camera has this pattern to some extent and that I should try raising the gamma to 50
(but no higher). I tend to use the lowest gamma I can(zero if possible), especially for surface features for increased contrast. I'v never seen this effect in any camera I'v ever used including ones from ZWO.

I'm not making any judgment yet until I follow the suggestion but I don't like the idea of this pattern lurking over image details.

Has anyone (especially 178 owners) had this experience and maybe suggest where the pattern comes from and suggest solutions?

Here is what the effect looks like:
1.PNG
1.PNG (716.93 KiB) Viewed 3580 times

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: A ZWO ASI 178 with an odd artifact

Post by PDB »

Hi,

YES! Noticed that effect last week while Ha solar imaging with my ASI178MM. Sometimes it is not viewable in the original image until you start playing with contrast, or unsharp masking. (Found out later that my gamma setting was 6 instead of the 50 setting I normally use. 50 produces linear signal according to ZWO) There is another interesting remark in the Genica Astro manual about ZWO cameras. An special setting (10) makes ZWO cameras perform at the supplier announced speeds, but lowers quality. Have had no chance (clouds!) to test if that has any influence.

Did not notice this on the ASI120MM-S (not a backlit cmos) yet, but i notice sometines tiny horizontal bands when processing. If weather permits (not likely before tuesday) will do some other testruns.

Rgrds,

Paul

Valery

Re: A ZWO ASI 178 with an odd artifact

Post by Valery »

Same here! Only on a very good, high S/N images this artifact is not pronounced.

I plan to replace my ZWO178MM for something better - Basler or PGR.

The only one good chinese astrogear I ever owned is an EQ8 mount (for it's money).

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.