best autofocus software

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

best autofocus software

Post by rxdeath »

i just ponied up for a robo focus, but am having trouble getting everything set up. does anyone have a good recommendation for a program they use for this setup? its on a lunt 100, installed with no problem, but having trouble with the software choice and setup.

Questor
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Re: best autofocus software

Post by Questor »

Sorry can't help but very interested.... I have seen this setup before but not sure about the software side. Please post your resolution.

Thanks

Lunt LS100THA
TEC 140
AP Mach1gto
Lunt b1800 H-Alpha
Lunt b1200 K-Line
ZWO 174mm & 1600mm
_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

Do you mean an autofocus program like Focusmax?

I've never heard of a focus routine for planetary or solar. Deep Sky imaging can use diffraction or HFR on pinpoint light sources (stars) to calculate the focus point, but I don't think that anything like that is possible with solar imaging.
For me, I always pick a feature on the sun and then "surf" the focus point in and out to get what seems to be the sharpest. It's a bit of an acquired art and I find that relaxing the eye and not really concentrating on the feature helps the best (almost like using averted vision).

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

There are actually ways to check focus by local contrast analasys like built in in AstroGenika, but it is only an assistant and does do "autofocus".
Also the histogram (with sun's limb in the image) can be used to get best focus. But sofar don't think any automation already implemented in capture programs.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.