need help with NexImage 5

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
SolarPhotographer316
The Sun?
The Sun?

need help with NexImage 5

Post by SolarPhotographer316 »

I purchased a NexImage 5 solar camera and am wanting to take photos of the Sun thru my Lunt solar scope. When I use the eyepiece, I can get it in focus just fine, but when I put in the camera, and try to look at the image on my computer, I get nothing. I have the software intstalled,but not sure if I need to do an update on it or not. When I do start to take the camera out of the eyepiece, I do get somewhat of an image, but it is very poor. I can not use the zoom or focus slidebars on the program as they are both grayed out. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks, Steve

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: need help with NexImage 5

Post by Montana »

I have never used a Neximage but I assume it is black and white?
The most important thing is, do you get a live image on the screen if you wave your hand over the front of the camera ie is it working?
Second, make sure the Sun is centred in the eyepiece by eye and is on low power magnification (no Barlows). If you are sure the camera is working pop it in the eyepiece slot carefully so not to move the telescope. Then raise the exposure until you see a bright grey image (not white - over exposed). Then carefully rack the focus in and out until you see that the grey image starts to focus. If it starts to focus but you run out of room on the focuser then you may need to pull the draw tube out a bit to give extra length for focus. I think I have heard that Lunt telescopes need the diagonal pulling out a bit to gain extra length for camera focusing. Again I don't own a lunt I can only describe what others have done. If you go through this routine it should help you isolate the problem and find out how to solve it.
Let us know how you get on.
Alexandra