Problems with Lunt B1200

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
frankernest
The Sun?
The Sun?

Problems with Lunt B1200

Post by frankernest »

Hi
I hope someone here can help. We acquired a Lunt LS60T Ha with B1200 Ha Diagonal.
All was well for about a year or so then we started to encounter a deposit forming on the input glass of the B1200. It has developed such that so much light is being restricted that the scope is virtually useless. I am attaching a pic to illustrate and any comments appreciated.
I have tried emailing Lunt via their website contact form and also to them via the only email address listed, i.e. sales@... , but complete silence.
Normally we would have gone back to the vendor, but unfortunately they have gone into liquidation.
Does anyone have an email address for a responsible individual in Lunt, who might respond?
It is very frustrating when equipment suppliers won't respond.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_9852.jpg
IMG_9852.jpg (102.82 KiB) Viewed 4872 times

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Lunt B1200

Post by solarchat »

This is very common with scopes left in the elements and is completely warranteed if the scope is less than 5 years old.

Contact Faye Heyde at [email protected] and she will send you out a free replacement. Takes five minutes. If you get no reply or you don't want to wait for an email, just call Lunt directly at 877-344-7348 or 520-344-7348.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Frank?,
Unfortunately this is a common occurrence with the Lunt blocking filter.
In other cases I'm aware of, Lunt have been quick to offer replacement filters....
I can only suggest you keep trying to contact them to resolve the issue.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think Lunt send out a replacement but plenty of folks here clean the filter too. It needs a soak in something. I think both Pedro and Eric and couple from Oz have done it as well, it is quite easy. Perhaps give edobosz (Ted) a private message as he helped Derek do his. If we could get him to give a clear set of instructions here then perhaps it could be moved to the library and then it will be easy for everyone to find.

Alexandra

frankernest
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by frankernest »

Hi All

Many thanks for your various comments and suggestions. In the first instance I will contact Faye Heyde at Lunt and will report back when I have any info.

Again, thanks

Frank

frankernest
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by frankernest »

Hi All
I just thought I would update you all about this problem, which is now resolved.
Using the email address given by Solarchat, I emailed Faye Heyde. I got an immediate 'out of Office' response saying Faye (who is now called Faye Roman, by the way). This message said she was off on maternity leave and gave Jennifer Lunt's email address, to which I immediately sent off a message.
I had a response within the hour. Jennifer said this was a known problem and it was an easy fix by replacing the clouded glass with a new one. This was Friday morning her time and she said she would get the replacement sent off on the following Monday morning. However a little later she got back to me saying their shipping people had in fact already put it in the mail.
The component arrive the following Wednesday (Arizona to Cornwall in England), and following the simple instructions Jennifer had sent, the job was done in less than 10 minutes.
She also said that in the unlikely event of this happening again they would send a further replacement, even years later.
In this time of poor service from some organisations, I feel Lunt are to be congratulated on their service.
As I am also Editor of the Newsletter of the Federation of Astronomical Societies here in the UK, I will be preparing an article outlining this excellent service.
Once again thanks for your help in this. A great forum.
Frank

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good to hear about this! Glad the problem resolved.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Keep the old one though and soak it for an hour in lens cleaning solution, then polish and you will have a spare :)
Alexandra