Autofocusing coming to Genika

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Autofocusing coming to Genika

Post by fjabet »

Hello all,

I've been working on a real planetary/moon/solar autofocus implementation for a while, and here is the first fully automated run in video.
It's done on the 203mm HaT, there couldn't have been worst condition : dust on the sensor, bad bad seeing, low featureless sun...
But it works !
The graphic shows the focus score on the different focuser steps, and then the gaussian fit.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Autofocusing coming to Genika

Post by marktownley »

Very interesting indeed Frederic! We're you focusing the HaT manually here?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Yes, that is my question too, I only have manual.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Would be nice if I got normal focussing to work.
Jog window is not even working with my Ascom focusser.
Works without problems from the ASCOM box and from FireCapture.

Genika has too much bugs for me.

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

@Alexandra and Mark : the new focus score is also present in the manual focusing, along with a new slopes display (image derivate). This release should be online by the end of this week.
@Paul : I know I had a few awful issues with the 2.12 release due to several changes (Visual studio 2010 to 2015 that brought a lot of issues). And it took me some releases to find them all. But the current live version solves all the issues detected before. What focuser are you using ?
Don't hesitate to contact me, it is very difficult to check all the configurations and sometimes a Teamviewer session can allow me to find a bug that won't occur on my PCs. For example a huge issue that affected few PC was due to the function I used to get the free memory which wasn't present all the time. And it blocked some initialization of other processes just because of that.

Frédéric.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hello Frederic,

will send you a list with all the problems i still have with Genika 2.12, but first need to test it on both my PC's. (This will take a while because I want to run the tests in different setups to see if there is an interaction with other software or setups I am using) BTW the focusser is a Rigelsys nFocus. Their Ascom implementation does not seem to be very rigid, so some problem might be in that interface. I tested yesterday with the Myfocusser implementation on an Arduino (seems to work like Moonlite) and that connected without problems.

Regards,

Paul

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Maybe an issue is that Genika requires an absolute focuser. If the focuser is a PWM focuser (pulse wide modulation) then it is a relative one.

rbenton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rbenton »

This looks great. What sort of focuser is required to take advantage of this feature?

Randall Benton

fjabet
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by fjabet »

Any ASCOM focuser wil do if it is an absolute one, most steppers focusers are.

Here is a link to the user manual, everything is explained there : http://airylab.com/Drivers/EN%20documen ... 202.13.pdf

The new release is online now.