Coronado telescope topics

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
mselph
The Sun?
The Sun?

Coronado telescope topics

Post by mselph »

Hi ! Is this a forum for specific problems with solar telescopes? I recently ordered a replacement part for an old Coronado Solar Max 60, and find it doesn't quite fit. But might be able to overcome this. Just wondering in general about topics that are of interest on this forum.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Coronado telescope topics

Post by marktownley »

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

I moved this post here, it's a good starting point for questions of this nature.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very warm welcome too :hamster: these sort of topics are always very useful in case someone else also has the problem in future. There is also a search tool in this forum but it is difficult to find. You need to click on 'quick links' at the top left of this page, then click on search.
Can you post some more specific details?
Alexandra

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 7.59.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 7.59.18 AM.png (195.89 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh yes! I didn't realise if you clicked on the magnifier it took you to the page I was after, I thought that was for just typing in words :)
Alexandra

mselph
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by mselph »

Hello-- this is M. Selph again. Thank you for all your replies, and your interest. In the future, I'll post about other topics, but right now, my problem is with the telescope repair.
Essentially, my problem is fitting a replacement focuser tube to my 2009 Coronado 60. On my old scope there is a part that will not unscrew. The focuser assembly is made of a hard plastic which has screw threads in the plastic, and one of these connections has frozen in place. If I can't get it off the scope, I can't put on the new focuser.
I tried putting WD-40 on it, but did not work. My hands not being very strong ( I'm a woman ), I asked 3 men with strong hands ( and using pieces of rubber to get a good grip on the plastic ) to try, but not one could do it. If any of you has experience with this, please let me know. I plan to go to a camera store and ask if they have any equipment that might work -- sometimes filters get stuck on cameras.
Thanks for any replies. Appreciate any comments, even if no solutions. M.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

That is frustrating, have you contacted Coronado about this joint? it may be that they use some sort of glue to stop folks from taking the telescope apart. I know that some folks have had a terrible job unscrewing the Coronado PST gold tube because of this. There are some threads about this somewhere and solutions but perhaps Mark will remember them. However, Coronado may be able to advise on the best way to nudge it off.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Eeek! WD40 will just make it slippy and difficult to get hold of.

Try a boa wrench, they are pretty cheap online to buy, this will help you grip it. They use loctite on the threads to stop people taking it apart.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!