Worth getting the 8" SCT up & running for solar imaging advice please.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Worth getting the 8" SCT up & running for solar imaging advice please.

Post by Ewan »

Hi,

I have a C8 SCT (non HD) which I haven't used for a while. Bought to image planets originally & I am thinking of buying a full ERF for use on solar.
I already use a 152mm Tecnosky for imaging with a Baader D-ERF and was wondering how much, if any, improvement the C8 may give.

I have read conflicting reports on the obstruction caused by the secondary mirror but then saw this, Central Obstruction (incl. holder/baffle) 80mm = 35%, wont my 152mm be pretty close to the SCT after taking the 'obstruction' into account ?

If it would appear to be a sensible option to use the 8" OTA I already have then I may start looking at finding a full ERF filter & get saving.

Please give me some good news :D

Atb
Ewan

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Worth getting the 8" SCT up & running for solar imaging advice please.

Post by Valery »

Ewan,

The difference between 8" and 6" apertures are significant enough and well worth to upgrade.

A lot more very delicate small details especially in active areas and in desert areas.

See the image I took with my C8 and ARIES full size three band Dielectric ERF filter coupled with PST etalon and BF10 blocking filter by Coronado + ASI 174MM camera. 500frames out of 3000.

Here you can see some more older pictures taken with 10", 8" and 6" scopes.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21666

With this filter in place you can image in three main wave lengths H-a (656nm), Ca II K + Ca II H (around 393-397nm) and G-band at 430nm.

If you are interested in more details drop me e-mail.

Valery
Attachments
203mm C8  ARIES 214mm D-ERF PST ASI174MM.png
203mm C8 ARIES 214mm D-ERF PST ASI174MM.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 3029 times

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.