Help with lunt 50Ha imaging

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Torchwood1
The Sun?
The Sun?

Help with lunt 50Ha imaging

Post by Torchwood1 »

Hello guys ftp here, I am trying to achieve focus with my celestron skyris & neximage no go on either, I'm guessing back focus is out? Can someone point me in the right direction on adapters,tips,tricks etc? Lunt 50mm ha,pt,single stack,b400 block. I'm just using the standard 1.25 barrel on the cam BF is 19mm . Thank You. :bow

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Help with lunt 50Ha imaging

Post by Montana »

I think I have heard from others (no expert here as I don't own one) that you have to draw out the diagonal a bit further - don't have it all the way in.

Alexandra

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Brendan »

The problem is in-focus I overcame this problem with the 50Ha by getting a shorter eyepiece holder http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrog ... GTST2TO125
I also removed the barrel off the camera and have no problems now, the only other way is to use a barlow but you won't get a full disc image. I have the B600 but I don't think this should make too much difference.
Hope this helps

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,
Torchwood1
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Torchwood1 »

Modding up an extra lestron tube to shorten it up a bit, waiting on a short c adapter and feather touch to replace the silly hell-a-crap to arrive. Thank You for the guidance!
Good seeing

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

let us know how you get on.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
amendola
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by amendola »

I wasn't able to get my camera to focus (sony a6000) even with a shorter eyepiece holder. I ended up getting a 2x televue barlow, and now I can focus without any problem.

Giorgio_ne
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Giorgio_ne »

Hi Guys, first time post for me here too.

I'm also unable to reach focus on my LS50 B600 and Skyris 445 or PTG chameleon. I've replaced the stock focuser with a Feather Touch, the issue seems to be with in-focus. I bought a shorter eyepiece holder identical to this one:
http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrog ... GTST2TO125
but I'm unable to screw it on the B600! It seems the thread on the eyepiece side of the diagonal is different from the thread on the focuser side.
The thread on the focuser side seems to be a T2 (the new eyepiece holder screws in perfectly) but no idea what's on the eyepiece side. I even tried a an M42 adapter but it does not fit either... It is very frustrating.

Can anyone please advise?

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

just like the PST, The LS50 is NOT designed for imaging. That being said, both of these scopes can be focused with a camera and a barlow lens.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

Hi Guys,
We have tested the Lunt50 B600 for imaging WITHOUT a barlow so we can advise customers on what to do. Using a PGR camera with C mount (17.5mm back focus), it is possible to reach focus using a C to T2 adapter and a 5mm T2 extension. This screws directly onto the diagonal when the standard, and quite long, 1.25" clamp is removed. I did try many combinations but back focus is tight. Sun is forecast over the next couple of days so I will confirm all the parts needed again but 99% sure it was just a 5mm and the adapter. I will post an image from the first test later as I have not processed it yet!