Camera Quark Nikon focus issues

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Camera Quark Nikon focus issues

Post by DDolan1075 »

Hey all! First post of many, hopefully.

I have tried to get my Setup for my Quark chromosphere Nikon filter and have had lots of "fun" trying to get things focused. I have been out in the 90+ degree and percent humidity of the Houston sun for three days fighting to get things set up before the drive to Nebraska next week. I was finally able to see my monitor somewhat today, but it is so bright out I am not sure how to see detail on the screen. I have my computer in a box to block the light and pull the top down so I look though a slit but still get some reflection. That's not the main problem I am dealing with. I feel like I am off on the focal distance with my camera in a way similar to needing more extenders, which doesn't make sense. I have gone with no rings, one and two rings and even got my macro extenders to no avail.

I am using a Sigma 150-600 lens with a yellow filter and a Nikon D810a camera with the quark and lens stabilized on a plate mounted on my Atlas EQG. I have been fighting this and am about to give up and just use my other solar filters, but it would be so cool to image the eclipse before and after totality with my Quark!

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? I was hoping that I would have more luck getting out since it's easier to shoot during the day and you don't have to worry about the phase of the moon or light pollution.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Camera Quark Nikon focus issues

Post by Montana »

A very warm welcome DDolan :hamster:
Do you have a photo of your set up? I didn't know you could use a Quark on a camera lens? I thought you had to use it on a telescope as it needs about f20 to work. But I could be wrong and the experts will step in. I am very interested to know.

Alexandra

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

I'm going out this afternoon and will get a shot of my setup. Here is where I got it at B&H:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... ku=1302634

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds like way too much exposure time?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

I'm missing something there Mark. What does that mean and how do I fix it? Increase the ISO and use faster shutter speed?

Thanks

Dave

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I guess minimum ISO (100) and quickest shutter speed (1/4000 or 1/8000 ). The image shouldn't be white (saturated) it should be a mid grey colour, if mid grey in colour you should then be able to look for focus.
That is a nice little Quark set up, I never knew they sold them for cameras :)
Alexandra

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

Sorry, I knew that about ISO. The image is red and very dark in color like it is underexposed. I just found an old loupe and hope that that helps block the reflection and allow focusing. I will know better tomorrow.

Thanks

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

Here are a couple of my rigs. I will have 5 or 6 cameras set up when all is said and done. Not sure how successful I will be but it won't be for lack of trying!

I bought a 3x loupe to help with focusing (for the shade more than anything else but the magnification helps a lot). I have that attached to my D810a on my 150- 600. I will add my 1.4 to that lens. My D800 is on the Quark and 150-500. I attached that setup to a bar to support the lens and Quark. Still not sure what an unprocessed image is supposed to show but it's getting closer.

Just got word that a friend is making the 12 hour drive with me so gotta make room in the RV!
Attachments
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG (1018.53 KiB) Viewed 6445 times
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 6445 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

As far as i'm aware the camera quark is designed to work at native distances, no additional adapters required. Look for the sharp edge on the limb of the sun for focus. In terms of detail there really isn't any on the sun at the moment all bar the one active region, and how much contrast you see on the sun is going to be down to the quality of your individual quark. Start off at the shortest focal length for the lens and just set focus manually at infinity.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

Thanks for the insight Mark! I'm not sure what I am going to get, but I was kind of expecting at least an indication of some chromosphere detail that would become more apparent with stacking. The sunspots were not apparent with the Quark like they were with the lens, although I still had a soft image of the spots with the lens.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That may well be down to the bayer matrix on the camera chip, remember 3/4 of the pixels aren't being utilised, this will cause a softness.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Do you have the tuning optimised for the Quark? see here http://solarnutcase.livejournal.com/12257.html

Alexandra

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

Hey Alexandra, nice blog! Thanks for the info. I am guessing that I need to work on that really soon! That may be a problem between work and driving to Nebraska but I will give it a try!

Thanks again! You have been a lotta help

Dave

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

So I have tried changing the wavelengths and other properties and could not even see the sunspots that are so apparent with my mechanical filters. So I am going to wait until it is cooler to play with this filter. I may talk to the manufacturers sooner but I will deal with it after the eclipse, which is more of a problem right now as the forecast is for 100% cloud cover for tomorrow.

DDolan1075
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by DDolan1075 »

I ended up not using my Quark for the eclipse. I will need to talk to somebody about focal issues.