Can I double stack Quark + Lunt LS50THa?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
teldar_paper
The Sun?
The Sun?

Can I double stack Quark + Lunt LS50THa?

Post by teldar_paper »

I have the Lunt LS50THa with B400, I thought I could solve 3 problems:

1. See more disk detail
2. Have a bigger blocking filter for imaging
3. Let me use more comfortable, longer focal length eyepieces (right now I have to use uncomfortable 4mm Plossls for high mag)

by getting a Quark Chromosphere as a double stack unit.

From what I'm read online, I just have to replace the B400 with a regular diagonal & put the Quark in it... anything wrong this plan?

_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Can I double stack Quark + Lunt LS50THa?

Post by _Zakalwe »

It will be extremely dim for a start. I tried once with a Lunt 60 and it didn't work.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Try it and see what happens

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
teldar_paper
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by teldar_paper »

I had to fiddle with a few extension tubes/diagonals to get it to focus, but looking through it at 100x magnification was awesome! I can't imagine that the "native" front-mounted DS etalon could be much better than this. I'll still have to get the feathertouch/moonlite focuser to better handle the added weight of the Quark.

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

teldar_paper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 pm I had to fiddle with a few extension tubes/diagonals to get it to focus, but looking through it at 100x magnification was awesome! I can't imagine that the "native" front-mounted DS etalon could be much better than this. I'll still have to get the feathertouch/moonlite focuser to better handle the added weight of the Quark.
extensionS and diagonalS
does it look like this in the end?

PST on its way to modding heaven
Quark + Orion 120mm + beloptik
LX65 8" ACF
Astrograph
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Astrograph »

You can make it work sometimes and sometimes not. It depends on how lucky you are with the two filters being compatible with each other. I did once combine a Quark and a Quantum to see what it was like. The contrast in the bit of the sun I could see was amazing but it was not a practical solution. Its actually a negative for imaging. You will find a very small field that is well corrected but because the image is so dim, exposure time has to be quite long and ultimately causes blur when you stack frames.

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

All depends of both etalons transmission % and blocking filter transmission. The brighter the images in your LS50THa and Quark 0 the better.

I got both LS50THa PT and Quark. DS works extremely well.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.