iOptron equatorial mount CEM60

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

iOptron equatorial mount CEM60

Post by rsfoto »

Hi Girls and Guys,

I am planning to get new equatorial mounts and the brand I am looking at is iOptron,

Thay just released into the market a new 120 Pound Mount named CEM120 and CEM120EC (with Encoders). I am looking at these but as I was informed there are only Mounts running in Chnina and the first one was delivered this week ...

I do own one but it is the tiny iOptron ZEQ25 now named CEM25 and I have to say the Performance and build is great.

I would like to ask if any Solar fan is using the smaller CEM60 and what are the Ratings and Performance you would give.

I know there are the fancy Astrophysics, ASA, 10 Micron, Paramount, etc but the Prices are way above my Budget.

Thanks for your comments in advance

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: iOptron equatorial mount CEM60

Post by marktownley »

Never tried the iOptrons, but that new one looks a nice piece of kit!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

marktownley wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 am Never tried the iOptrons, but that new one looks a nice piece of kit!
Hi Mark,

Yes, compared to all others the proce and capacity are interesting as well as the new Arrangement of the Position of the telescopes from the mechanical Point of view.

I ahve at the momento Losmandy G11 which are rated at 60 lbs but I have loaded on them 77 lbs of Equipment and they are quite old. One I guess is getting to 20 years and the other about 18 years.

There are 2 CEM60 here in Mexico which I have seen in real and yes they are well build but opinions from more People dos not hurt.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Valery

Post by Valery »

I bought an iOptronEQ45 and was rather disappointed by it's performance. Too big periodic error, not firm clutch at delination axis.

I would advice you to wait untill a warm season and do a homework and find the better solution. A lot of offers on the market today.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Valery wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm I bought an iOptronEQ45 and was rather disappointed by it's performance. Too big periodic error, not firm clutch at delination axis.

I would advice you to wait untill a warm season and do a homework and find the better solution. A lot of offers on the market today.
Hi Valery,

Thanks for your insight. When did you buy the EQ45 ?

Did you talk to Tech support at iOptron and what did they do ?

The difference I see here is the CEM arrangement against the conservative arrangement

Well yes a lot of options which I know from my long time experience but price wise nothing similar to what iOptron offers.

All the mounts in that weight range cost 50% more (Losmandy HGM TItan) and then it doubles or triples.

As I said I have a ZEQ 25, very early model, and never failed so far.

I attached an image of the actual setup of my two Losmandy G11 mounts (made some custom modifications to them) and according to the spec the weight capacity is 60 lbs equipment. Both are loaded with about 77 lbs of equipment and 66 pounds of counterwight and since 10 years working but somehow got tired of them.

As you can see the Urban Rule = for photographic use, put half of the specified weight on it ... :lol:

I found out that having a good base = heavy pier (my piers have a weight of 7,000 kg ( ~ 15,400 lbs) is quite different than having a flimsy 50 pound pier or tripod underneath.
IMG_0999_C1_et_CN.jpg
IMG_0999_C1_et_CN.jpg (476.93 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
and below a deep space image taken at 3210 mm focal length at a resolution of 0.44" per pixel. Composite of 9 images of each 15 min exposure time

Arp 147 about 400 to 440 million light years away.
Arp147-010-L-med.jpg
Arp147-010-L-med.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4455 times
I hope this s not off topic in this Solar Chat forum

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Valery wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:06 pm I bought an iOptronEQ45 and was rather disappointed by it's performance. Too big periodic error, not firm clutch at delination axis.

Hi Valery,

I forgot to ask. What are you using right now ?

Thanks

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Your observatory is bigger than my house :D

Sexy setup though :cool:

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

rsfoto wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi Valery,

Thanks
I do use EQ8 mount which is more than enough for C11 telescope and adequate for C14.

iOptron I do use for quick sessions with smaller refractor. As far as I know the feedback from practical observers,
the SW AZ-EQ6 Pro is a better performer.

I also own Vixen's flagship mount GAIAX. Really a pease of perfection. It has only +/-2" PE and with perfectly smooth
PE curve. With PEC training I see no guiding error at all if the mount is well polar aligmented.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Valery wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am
rsfoto wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm

Hi Valery,

Thanks
I do use EQ8 mount which is more than enough for C11 telescope and adequate for C14.

iOptron I do use for quick sessions with smaller refractor. As far as I know the feedback from practical observers,
the SW AZ-EQ6 Pro is a better performer.

I also own Vixen's flagship mount GAIAX. Really a pease of perfection. It has only +/-2" PE and with perfectly smooth
PE curve. With PEC training I see no guiding error at all if the mount is well polar aligmented.

Valery
Hi Valery and Thank You

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°