Daystar Quark Bundle

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Mike Bradley
The Sun?
The Sun?

Daystar Quark Bundle

Post by Mike Bradley »

Our club has just got a Daystar Quark Bundle and we're using it with a TeleVue 40mm Plossl as suggested, balance of the scope is tricky but has been fixed. So far I haven't been able reach focus on the solar disc though and I'm wondering how far other users with this configuration have to rack the focuser out? Thanks
Michael

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Daystar Quark Bundle

Post by solarchat »

are you setting up the scope in normal configuration and then putting the Quark where the eyepiece went? Leaving the diagonal in place?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Mike Bradley
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Mike Bradley »

Yes Stephen, the Daystar 80mm scope, their diagonal, the quark, my plossl. All that i can see is what appears to be a mottled red field that I have never been able to bring to focus. The mottling does not move as the solar disk is moved. So far no surface features but I haven't tried much experimentation with tuning yet. I asked my question to try to eliminate one of the variables in setting up the equipment!
Michael

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Mike,

I have that same Daystar bundle scope, a 2" diagonal and the Quark. Using the diagonal and the Quark in the diagonal + Televue Plössl 32mm i get into focuse when the scale on the focuser is around 27 mm. If the Televues are parfocal should be the same for the 40. This can differ a bit due to the optical length in the diagonal. (Mine was is a TechnoSky which came with the bundle, but don't think there will be much difference with other 2" diagonals)

Rgrds,

Paul

Mike Bradley
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Mike Bradley »

Thanks Paul, my values seem very close to yours, 29mm in fact for the 40mm TeleVue.
Michael