The Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project is proudly sponsored by the following fine companies:
ImageImageImageImage
Transit of Mercury in the Spicule Layer. Phil took this great image with his Quantum 6 Scope, Solar Spectrum etalon and PGR Camera.

Welcome to Solar Chat! The best forum for Solar Astronomy
Moving forward from solar cycle 24 to 25

New polarized light sensor

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

New polarized light sensor

Post by GreatAttractor » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:58 pm

I got an e-mail from FLIR about the new polarized light sensor from Sony (implying upcoming new cameras, I guess), IMX250MZR. Found some infographics: https://thinklucid.com/tech-briefs/pola ... ed-sensor/

In short, every pixel has an individual polarizer; pixels are divided into 4 groups (similarly to a Bayer color filter array), and each group detects one of 4 polarization directions (0, 45, 90, 135 degress). I can't immediately see an application for solar imaging, but it sure look interesting.
My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scope (D=90 mm, LS50 etalon), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)