Available external DS etalons??

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Available external DS etalons??

Post by Merlin66 »

Mark,
Yeah, I normally do crop...this was just a test shot while tuning the DS.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Revisiting this:

So I have a SM60II double stack module now and I'm waiting for the adapter for my ED80 from Precise Parts.

Is it possible to get a SM60II module that is NOT double stack module still anywhere? My PST mod works with it (did a quick test), but the sweet spot on my PST mod is smaller than a full disc is for the 600mm focal length presentation to an IMX183 sensor giving a great full disc FOV, but its obvious with the sweet spot. I have not tested my SM60II thoroughly yet, awaiting the adapter, so I'm not sure how its sweet spot is too, yet. But I am considering just going full on two front mounted etalons at this point. Just can't seem to find a SM60II non-DS etalon option that doesn't come with a blocking filter.

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have noticed many of the sites I have visited don't have the SolarMax II series listed anymore. I have wondered if Meade is discontinuing them or coming out with something new. I bought mine last May as a single-stacked scope from OPT for 999.00. Three months later I ordered the 60mm etalon for it to double-stack. OPT had it at the time for 700 bucks. So I got the whole scope for 1,700 dollars. Well under the 2,400 or so listed by Meade. It seems to do well, at least visually. I do wish contrast was a bit better. The contrast difference while there, is not as big as an improvement over the single stack as I was hoping. There is a noticeable sweet spot that you learn to find when using the scope. While I do like the Coronado SolarMax II if I did it again I would probably choose a Lunt 60THA because of the pressure tuning system and Lunt's better reputation on customer support.

Everyone here seems to prefer the pre-Meade Coronado etalons. I would love to look through one to see if I could tell the difference. Also it seems that one cannot buy the Solarmax III etalons separately. I wonder why?

Here are photos of my SolarMax II 60DS right after I got them.
Attachments
SolarMax II DS.jpg
SolarMax II DS.jpg (4 MiB) Viewed 6048 times
Etalon.JPG
Etalon.JPG (2.92 MiB) Viewed 6048 times
Etalon Front.JPG
Etalon Front.JPG (2.31 MiB) Viewed 6048 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

The pre-Meade Coronado were very nice but they varied just like today’s filters so be nice to try before buying. I have or had two 60s (astro buddy has them now). One was better than the other. They worked very well together. But my LS80 DSII actually has higher contrast and better sweet spot performance (through binoviewer), and easier to check the wings. One of the best views I have seen though was a DS 90mm pre-Meade Coronado front mount (and no sweet spot)

George

Ps- much of the pre-Meade sweet spot issue was the early 2A blocking filter, so would not be a problem for you.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

It seems the only SM60II front mounted (non-DS module) etalons available come only in a package including the blocking filter. New anyways. So it seems the only options are to get the SM60II + blocking filter new (expensive for what it is) or post an ad and wait for a used one without a blocking filter. The new price is pretty high. Would just sell the blocking filter likely. But still would make the etalon run about $900 new after selling the blocking filter. That's too pricey for the quality level of an old SM60II though.

Very best,